Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bauer reel that I really like, problem is the weight ,it is a little light for my longer spey rods. I wish it was an ounce or so heavier. Is there a way to add weight to the reel? Can it be done without causing damage to the reel or throwing it out of balance?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Why add rotational weight to a reel if the issue is balancing your rod and reel combination? Add lead as near the rod butt cap as possible. That way you achieve balance with the least possible weight addition and avoid messing with your reel.

Sg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think if you do a search for Adding Weight to Reels or something like that, you will get a number of threads covering many options.

MB

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why add rotational weight to a reel if the issue is balancing your rod and reel combination? Add lead as near the rod butt cap as possible. That way you achieve balance with the least possible weight addition and avoid messing with your reel.

Sg
Adding leadcore running line or lead tape is not "messing" with your reel. Adding a hunk of lead to the butt section of your rod is "messing" with your rod, no? How would you connect 1 ounce of lead to your butt section in an unobtrusive manner?

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
Leadcore is my preferred method as it is hidden. Have a couple of old Redington AS's with about 8oz of leadcore on each as they're a light reel, but have miles of capacity for long lines. Take your reel as is and add coins, etc to a sandwich bag attached to the spool handle while it is on the rod (head of line out of rid tip) and add weight until it balances the way you like. Weigh that bag and then unspool the reel of line and backing and weight the empty reel. If the reel weighs 10 oz and you need an additional 2 oz to balance out the reel, spool leadcore until you hit 12 oz and add your backing and line. Has worked for me on a few reels. I just reread...an ounce will be a minimal addition of leadcore...should be an ideal fix. But I would still weigh everything ahead of time so you can get your reel dialed in just as you'd like it. If you're going to go through the whole process...may as well make it perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I have heard about leadcore line being used to add weight before. Maybe I will give that a try.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Adding leadcore running line or lead tape is not "messing" with your reel. Adding a hunk of lead to the butt section of your rod is "messing" with your rod, no? How would you connect 1 ounce of lead to your butt section in an unobtrusive manner?
Rick,

OK, adding lead core or tape isn't messing with the reel, but it does add rotational weight. Some people think that matters, and some don't. Either way, it takes more weight added to the reel to achieve balance then by adding weight to the butt of the rod. Messing with the rod unobtrusively is to remove the butt cap and insert enough pencil lead to achieve the desired balance. And that will take less weight than by adding it to the reel because it will be a greater distance from the fulcrum balance point. Add a bit of epoxy or other glue to hold the lead in place, and replace the butt cap. Ready to go, and with a rod and reel that are balanced.

Sg

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Rick,

OK, adding lead core or tape isn't messing with the reel, but it does add rotational weight. Some people think that matters, and some don't. Either way, it takes more weight added to the reel to achieve balance then by adding weight to the butt of the rod. Messing with the rod unobtrusively is to remove the butt cap and insert enough pencil lead to achieve the desired balance. And that will take less weight than by adding it to the reel because it will be a greater distance from the fulcrum balance point. Add a bit of epoxy or other glue to hold the lead in place, and replace the butt cap. Ready to go, and with a rod and reel that are balanced.

Sg
Pencil lead is actually graphite! (mostly carbon), and will really add very little weight. The lead needed (if one is to take this route) is metallic 'plumbic' lead, as in lead sinkers and lead shot. One could also use brass, tungsten or other heavy metal instead of lead.

·
Spey Is The Way
945 Posts
OK, so how do you remove the butt cap and put it back on?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pencil lead is actually graphite! (mostly carbon), and will really add very little weight. The lead needed (if one is to take this route) is metallic 'plumbic' lead, as in lead sinkers and lead shot. One could also use brass, tungsten or other heavy metal instead of lead.
With respect Mike, I think the "pencil" lead being referred to here is NOT the lead in a pencil....
Pencil lead is used by bottom bouncers as it slides over rocks and rarely hangs up due to its pencil like shape. It is in fact Pb. Atomic number 82.

Having said that, I can't imagine cutting a rod butt, inserting lead, and then epoxying it in... Just to balance one reel. But to each his own.

I would look for a similar reel in a larger size....

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
With respect Mike, I think the "pencil" lead being referred to here is NOT the lead in a pencil....
Pencil lead is used by bottom bouncers as it slides over rocks and rarely hangs up due to its pencil like shape. It is in fact Pb. Atomic number 82.

Having said that, I can't imagine cutting a rod butt, inserting lead, and then epoxying it in... Just to balance one reel. But to each his own.

I would look for a similar reel in a larger size....
TD,

sincere apologies!!! ... it must be language thing; car boot (UK) = trunk (NA); car bonnet (UK) = hood (NA); chips (UK) = fries (NA); crisps (UK) = chips (NA):

if 'pencil lead' = the thin lead (metal weight) columns used for bottom bouncing in NA, we call 'em "bouncing betties"..;)

Mike

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
If you were looking to add 6 oz to your reel...time to really consider how it will impact the reel. Adding 1 oz to your reel...probably 10' of lead core trolling line. Not a major undertaking and no adverse effect on the reel. I would personally not open up the butt end of my rod. Warranties become voided, etc.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Speyducer,

Yes, the "pencil" lead I referred to in my previous post is indeed Pb, lead. Here in the PNW bouncing Bettys are rubber-covered lead balls, that I guess do "bounce" over the stones with fewer snags than occurs with straight pencil lead. I don't know as they hit the market after I was pretty solidly in the fly fishing camp.

Leo M.,

That varies between rod makes and models. Some might not come off readily and have to be sacrificed and replaced with a new butt capp. I suppose that's unthinkable to some, but I was thinking of this as a means of customizing the rod to a particular user and specific reel.

Montanafos,

The point you make about voiding warranties is worth noting. If a rod maker wouldn't replace a broken rod section because the unrelated butt cap had been removed and replaced, well that is someone I would rather not do business with. I don't choose rods based on warranties, so that possibility didn't occur to me.

Sg

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
Montanafos,

The point you make about voiding warranties is worth noting. If a rod maker wouldn't replace a broken rod section because the unrelated butt cap had been removed and replaced, well that is someone I would rather not do business with. I don't choose rods based on warranties, so that possibility didn't occur to me.

Sg
I'm a fan of my Sage's...and me tweaking them would void the warranty.

However...it sounds like you've found a solution that works very well for you, so I'd not change a thing if I were in your shoes.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Ultimately purchasing a reel which has the desired weight in ounces is the perfect way to do this. I just spent some time looking up a website beaucatcher fly fishing guide service out of BC and it is no longer up. That is too bad, the reason I had saved the site was that they sold weighted discs that fit inside some makes of large arbor fly reels and I believe Bauer was one they had.

I forget which brand the Mountain View Sports Shop in Anchorage stocks buy I know they have some of these too.

The discs fit inside the frame of some reels and nest around the drag hub on the cage frame. Pretty ingenious bit of machining work and I'm surprised someone is not making them for many makes of our new lightweight reels.

No harm in contacting Mountain View Sports and asking but I would use the phone not e-mail, ask for the fishing counter.

Ard

1 - 20 of 30 Posts