Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Deschutes too hot to fish right now downstream of Maupin? I see the temps going up near 70 sometimes near the mouth. What about fishing early mornings?

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,120 Posts
I've fished it several times in August in years passed, and only fished it early morning, sometimes casting a wee bit in the dark, and then getting wet again in the evening. Mid day is a time to shade up, take a dip, read, catch a nap, have another beer, explore the shoreline, etc.

Have a good trip,

my 2£ worth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fished in the morning and did relatively well. later in the day much slower but would find a couple under trees.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know some guides have shut it down during this heat wave and cancelled trips.
I'm curious; PM me who has. I've seen several who I thought would, but havent.

·
Registered
839 Posts
What is particularly alarming and insidious is that PGE/tribes could instantly release water from the lower level of the selective water withdrawl (tower of doom) at Pelton dam, and water temperatures would drop all the way to the mouth. Before the tower went in, the cooler temperatures of the Deschutes would attract many up-system fish, most notably the mighty Idaho B runs. Steelheading in the seventies and eighties was a great time. Now, with the dam managers releasing water in a nonproductive manner, ostensibly to enhance chinook (only a handful of returns) the river is dying. In this time when the state and Feds are talking about cool water refugia, this travesty should not continue. This past week saw 7 days of temperatures at Moody in excess of 68 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts