Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have bought in a benefit auction a SAGE twohanded flyfishing rod, line #9, 14 feet 1 inch (European style) and I am woundering if it is the right rod for me. I haven't use it yet. Is it a spey rod ? I am not sure I want to use this rod because I would like to get a spey rod and I believe my rod is not a spey rod. What do you think ? In the case I would like to sell this rod, where should I advertise it ?

·
Registered
693 Posts
redibermarin,

Interesting Question and one that is almost impossible for someone else to answer for you. Selecting any rod, not just a two-hander, is a very personal thing. I have found that people who like fast action single-handed rods usually like fast action two-handers and people who like slow action single handed rods will like the slower action two-handers. The one you have is usually considered a faster rod. I would recommend taking it out and casting it. That is the only way to tell for sure. Hope this helps.

Charlie

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Two-handed and spey are getting treated as the same thing nowadays in alot of situations even though it may not be technically correct. We had quite the debate on this a while ago.

I would say you have a double handed rod and spey casting is the main purpose for the sage 9141. Sage gives the european designation to their faster rods with an eye towards the underhand casting style prevelant in Europe where they usually use faster rods as opposed to medium-fast rods most like for traditional casting techniques. They are both spey casting though, just different styles.

That being said as a first rod I think this rod should treat you well. I like all of sage's european rods for traditional casting more so than their others rods. They really are not that fast and have a little more reserve power that the 9140 which is the traditional model.

That being said what are you planning on using the rod for? What is the size of the fish you usually fish for? How large are the rivers you plan to fish? These two questions really help you narrow down what rod may be best suited to how/where you fish.

-sean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fish Atlantic Salmon. They can range in weight from 6 to 30 pounds and 12 pounder are most common. Rivers ar narrow to very large and a lot of time we fish with a lot of obstacles behind.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Sean nailed it on the spey v. double hander question. It is mostly personal preference. Like he said the Sage European are good spey casting rods. The 9141 is a newer version of their old three-piece 9140 (diff. than the 9140-4). The old rod was considered by many to be the best spey rod they made. If the action suits your style, I think you will do fine with the 9141.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I fish Atlantic Salmon. They can range in weight from 6 to 30 pounds and 12 pounder are most common. Rivers ar narrow to very large and a lot of time we fish with a lot of obstacles behind."

If a dealer donated the rod, you might want to try and exchange it for the little sister rod, the Sage 8126 because of the obstacles behind. Also, the learning curve may be easier with the Sage 8126.

If you can't trade the 9141, as Sean note, that rod is a superb rod. You might want to consider lessons from a good pro for the basic casts. You have an excellent rod by a good manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts