Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried out airflo miracle braid for the first time a couple of week ago. What I had to fish for was landlocked stripers that were in a lake - technically it is a reservoir, but don't tell them that. So no current, basically spey casing and stripping a clouser minnow. So when I stripped the line it made a pretty loud noise going through the guides, though it seemed to shoot just fine in spite of the friction.

My question is: should I be treating this shooting line in some way? Any way to make it quieter? Does the sound bother anyone else? I was even wondering if the sound got telegraphed into the water (for striped bass that might even be an attractant, I don't know), but probably the shooting head would damp out the sound before it travel down to the fly. So I like everything else about this running line, just haven't come to terms with the bzerr, bzerr, bzerr. Should I seek psychological help?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Miracle Braid

I used this for a while when I jumped from the poly coated shooting lines and I really liked the way it shoots. And yeah it def makes a distinct noise leaving the guides. Didn't bother me, kinda liked it. I still have couple spools I like to use in summertime. Mono on most of my other reels

·
Registered
153 Posts
It would not surprise me that a striper could feel the vibration of the line. It might be an attractor, but then again, it might send an alert signal. This begs the question. Did you catch any fish? :)

I use to hate the sound of braided mono, but I've gotten use to it.

briansII

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I can imagine in a couple of more months I will get used to it, and it will just become part of the background like the hiss of the cast line and the sound of water. OK, maybe I will no longer be able to hear the hiss anymore because the noise from the running line going out. I have a mix of quiet modern reels, and noisy Hardys - maybe the braid is the right one on the Hardy reels - when I'm in that sort of mood.

It would not surprise me that a striper could feel the vibration of the line. It might be an attractor, but then again, it might send an alert signal. This begs the question. Did you catch any fish? :)

I use to hate the sound of braided mono, but I've gotten use to it.

briansII

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really like the way it shoots and handles but I could not stand the noise. So now I have three looped running lines in my backup tackle box that will probably never get used. Oh well, at least it's not that expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts