Spey Pages banner

What do you call your steelhead flies?

• steelhead flies, what else?

Votes: 71 30.2%
  • "bugs" is fine Dana, stop stressing!

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • haven't you got better things to do with your time Dana than post polls like this???

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • have another beer, Dana...

Votes: 95 40.4%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little while ago a certain Speypages Moderator who shall remain nameless but I like to call him sinktip gave me a bad time about referring to my tubeflies as "bugs".

What do you call your steelhead bugs, er I mean flies?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I often call my offerings a "bug." Especially when fishing dry.

But some of those big nasty things we drag through the depths? I sometimes call them my bait! :saeek:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
A point of clarification.

I only said that your use of the term bug bothered me as you were indicator fishing at the time and I thought the proper term was nymph. :razz:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
And Sparkey, that one, bugrod, really chaps my arse. I expect to hear dueling banjos every time I hear someone say that.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
If flingin bugs on that fancy crawler pole of yours makes you happy.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
It depends, would you call a women a chick? Well I guess it would have to depend on the elagence of the fly, wheather or not it would be worthy enough to be called a fly. Same with women, is she's someone that you admire? If she isn't then she falls under the classification of a chick. LOL:hihi:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like "bug." Even in reference to a GP that took 30 min to tie. Why not? We are fly fishermen, no?

A good fly fishing buddy of mine always referes to his rod as his pole, but then he also calls top shelf vodka "'tater juice," single malt "wicky," and so on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
anyone who calls a fly a bug clearly doesn't understand tradition!! these people have NO place on our rivers!! These people would be better off on the golf course!! sheesh i cannot even believe we are even having this discussion on a " fly" fishing board!!! :D :p

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
'tip,

With an attitude like that I think you would fit in nicely in Sedro Woolley. The folks here really appreciate political correctness. Ever think of relocating? We could use a forward thinking person such as yourself.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Well Kerry, thank you for the invite. I actually have my eye on a little log structure outside Concrete. I just don't know if it will be big enough for the still.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
sinktip said:
Well Kerry, thank you for the invite. I actually have my eye on a little log structure outside Concrete. I just don't know if it will be big enough for the still.
Small problem there 'tip. Those boys upriver gave up whiskey making sometime back. Cooking meth is the new backwoods hobby.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts