Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone chosen this line as their go to winter line? (or summer?)
Did you have to go down a line weight?

What are your thoughts on fishing with this line compared to say a guideline intermediate or Rio Iflight...
(troutless I read what you wrote a bit ago but was wondering what it fishes like as an everyday line or one you just put on in certain circumstances?)

Many Thanks..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Down one size

I fished some of them last year. Mostly an intermediate body with sinking tips. I did use the original Nextcast tips, sink 4,6 and 8 and this worked well. Personally I prefer longer SH or lines, so I mostly used Rio 15 ft verisitips. Sink 3, 6 and 8. This adds 5 feet to the head lenght. On top of that I used 5 feet polytips and some mono. Using the original Nextcast tips or the Rio, these SH cast extremely well, producing sharp arrowlike loops and they will fly a long way. They are designed by couple of exceptional Norwegian casters, native to Scandinavian SH.
I drop down one size when casting these heads. Others may not, but I cast Scandi heads using my lower hand, a short stroke and cast of the tip.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
For Steelhead fishing when temps are above 9 C, you probably want to go with Floater-S2body + tips. Rio 85 gr tips 10' type 3 or 6, or 15' wt.7 ( 95 gr) or wt.8 ( 110 gr). On Salar Finder 45, the front 1-2 feet weight/foot is in 10 gr range so all aforementioned will cast well.

On SF 45, the faster sinking section of the body ( 35' long body) is 15' long, while on SF 40 is 10' long.

For an older CFB 9145-4( a lighter tip) or new 8152-4 I did cut off ca. 16" form SF 45 F-I ( 8/9) body to accommodate for a power application coming form the lower hand.

The SF 45 8/9head will cast a good size fly which weights 1.0 1-1 g( 16 gr), 2.75" long like below quite well, specially on Single Spey cast and Snake.

Anything smaller will fly like a bullet !!!, but do not expect to cast well a heavily weighed dead rodent in 5-6" length.

Soon ( in April according to website) NC will have a similar heads called SteelheadFinder in 30,45 and 55' length ( with tip )
Floater-Intermediate + tip or Int-S3 + tip

http://www.nextcastproducts.com/products/steelheadfinder-45

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Steelhead/Skeena second part of summer, early fall.

In a typical water speed SF 45; F-S2 + 10' tip type 3 ( Rio, 85 gr) will deliver a fly 1.5 - 2 feet down.

It is a classic Scandinavian head.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Correction

xgolfman,
I was a little inaccurate last night. I use the Salar Finder 45 and the bodies are FHI and I-S2-S4. I use the lines for Atlantic salmon in high water or to get below the surface and slow things down a bit in fast water. I don`t fish really deep, but rather use a sinking line to get a light, but sometimes large fly like a single hook 3/0 5 to 20 inches below the surface.
The Salar Finder 45 is shorter than what the Nextcast homepage says, at least mine are, but using the Rio 15 ft tips they are 45 to 47 feet.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Knut,

I see NC has a single piece Salar Finder F-H-I but not I-S2-S4. GL triple density do have I-S2-S4.

Mine Salar Finder 45 8/9, F-S2 body was 520 gr/44', so very close to the spec. With 10' tip it was be ca. 600 gr, before a small cut form behind was made for tune-up purpose.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Right now, it is confusing

With all the new releases and names for lines/heads, it is hard to figure out what is available. The SF I have apparently was from an even older run. Anyone got a 13 that is blue and purple? If so, what are its specs and what do you think it matches up with in the current crop?

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I doubt there is to much difference between the original SF and the current.
The original has 12inch of slightly thicker section, just behind the real loop

( 0.105" in case of F-S2) followed by 6-7' 0.095" leveled section, before it starred t0otaper. The current has just 8' leveled belly.

Either it is Salar Finder 45 or new, soon to be released, Steelhead Finder, all are based on Scandinavian shooting head taper. When I looked up ion NC website, Steelhead Finder 45 specs fits just in-between Salar Finder specs , what allows an anglers to better match a rod choosing.

However, NC planes to release several version of Steelehad Finder , based on dual density body with various sinking rate and length, which is fish with tips. A total length with tips will be 30, 45, 55 etc.,

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Is the "Salad Finder" the PETA approved vegan version?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.........

Regards, Tyke.

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
Has anyone chosen this line as their go to winter line?

Many Thanks..
Hi,
I have been fishing the SF40-13 7/8 (purple) and SF40-F2 7/8 November thru January out of my boat. Water depth varies from 3'-8' with alot of wood. I fish the fly about half way down.
I use Rio type 6 and 8 15' wt 7 sinktips with it.
It matches well with the SmoothOperator 13' 7/8 rod.
Purple is early color. It has been changed to tan.
Here is a picture from December.
The green is miracle braid.
Yes, I have fished multi-density lines from Guideline. The SF are more powerful tapers and more versatile because I change from type 6 to type 8 tips when I need to (you can also use T8)
Yes, there has been some confusion with weights.
Yes, there are new multi-density lines in development.
It is best to contact Simon for specific details.
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the "Salad Finder" the PETA approved vegan version?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that.........

Regards, Tyke.
Damn spell check...:chuckle:

Once the new lines out i'm going to try to get some sent to Gene or Brian and hook up and try them...i'm messing with the iflight a bit now and am liking the intermediate game..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nextcast line

Hi xgolfman,
Last week I was privy to fishing a prototype coastal line from Nextcast. Simon and I fished them and the wow factor is certainly there. I had been using Airflow compact skagits in floating and intermediate. This new Coastal that I have has an int 1 front end and casts any size fly I could throw at it. Lifts out of the water with ease and can use sustained anchor or single speys with ease. Even catch fish with it. I'm using a 610 gr on a 13' B&W Norway.

Not sure what the production lines will weight but this one is perfect for my rod.
Rick

·
Registered
106 Posts
Corrected again

sazan, I stand corrected.
You are right. Maybe I`m getting to old or maybe I have too many lines. It is not an Intermediate-S2-S4 but the SF45 13, intermediate-S3. I have the two lightest. The rest stands. They cast very well with the NC 10 ft tips, for me however, better with longer tips.
The lines are easy to lift or roll out the the water. Generally rolling is not required.

I don`t intend to hijack the thread, but since sazan mentioned GL tripple D heads this may be of interest.
The idea of constructing a line of multiple looped pieces is not new. Like others I have been doing this for many years. Here is an example involving GL 3D heads.
Last year I got a long, very light rod from Bob Meiser. A Highlander 16 ft, 5pce, line 5-7. It is the most through actioned and slowest Highlander I`ve tried. It is hard to find lines for such a long, light rod. It came with an excellent Steve Godshall head and luckily I had a Partridge Ian Gordon short head 7/8, a CND GPS 7/8 and a FF70 7/8. All worked well. Later I got a FF70 6/7. It works well too, I just need to weld a reartaper and running line to it.

I got the idea of making some long sinking heads for the rod, just to get a small fly a little below the surface. The start was a GL 3D, F-I-S2 single hand, 7/8 SH. Cut at 21.5 G it is 11.5 m or about 38 ft. I then made a looped rear appendix at 3.3 m/11 ft and 10 G. It took a bit of thought and calculation (mostly in my head:cool:) and some time to find the victim to be cut for the purpose. Anyway, this is now a 49 ft head at 31.5 G (485 grains) that works superbly, even with a 5 feet sinking poly. It goes a long way, arrow pointed loop, no sagging.
I got the motivation to try this with other rods too. For instance taking GL 3Ds cut for an 8 weight rod and adding a similar appendix at the rear will turn the 8 wt SH into a long 10 wt head. They may not be tripple density heads anymore, but quadrupple density. Who cares:)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi xgolfman,
Last week I was privy to fishing a prototype coastal line from Nextcast. Simon and I fished them and the wow factor is certainly there. I had been using Airflow compact skagits in floating and intermediate. This new Coastal that I have has an int 1 front end and casts any size fly I could throw at it. Lifts out of the water with ease and can use sustained anchor or single speys with ease. Even catch fish with it. I'm using a 610 gr on a 13' B&W Norway.

Not sure what the production lines will weight but this one is perfect for my rod.
Rick
that sounds like money Rick...I hope it comes out relatively soon, Did you have to go down a line size?
I am looking at one for my 12'4 and 13' powerlite...think the 13' should be similar to the norway?
Thanks!!!

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
BTW, have you fond what I observed, that some GL 3D, for example wt. 9/10 H-I-S3 or F-I-S2 have some variability in grain distribution. Generally in all GL 3Ds, OD of the front 10-11' changes only marginally before is start to increase gradually , but more decisively toward the back. However in some heads the OD in the front 10' is smaller then other resulting in an average weight ca. 8-8.3 gr/foot vs. 9.5 grain / foot in other. Consequently the one which is lighter in the front is also heavier in the back. Although such line has slightly diminished turnover power with a very large fly, it cast better with normal size fly ( medium or large), something what should be expected.

The 9/10 heads which as cut to 38-40' with a bit heavier front have rear half to front half ratio abut 1.5, while other is more like 1.7 -1.75.

It appears that all I-S2-S4 ( 9/10 or 11/10 ) are finer in the front and have the R/F ratio of 1.7 and the cast superb.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Coastal line

that sounds like money Rick...I hope it comes out relatively soon, Did you have to go down a line size?
I am looking at one for my 12'4 and 13' powerlite...think the 13' should be similar to the norway?
Thanks!!!
xgolfman,
As to going down a line size. I have been fishing a 630 gr airflow skagit floater, and 600 intermediate on the Norway. So Simon put the line togeter at 610gr to try it. Then if needed tweaking, he would do it. I love it just the way it is. What wt is your 13' powerlite. If an 8/9 we can get together and you can cast this one.
Rick

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Steelie Addict,

According to NC website Steelhead Finder zone is designed to cast Single Spey

Since you mentioned single spey cast, Have you cast the costal or zone line?

Also, according to the website the weight of Zone 7/8 body is 550 gr/ 27', what would put a total set-up with 80 gr 10' tip at 630 gr, what seems a bit to much. for 7/8 which is not a rue Skagit line

Could be that the weight represents a total of tip and body ?

It seems that Zone is more like Rio Scandi veristip, a quite aggressive Scadi head.

By choosing a one size larger, one can turn either line into a light duty Skagit.

nextcastproducts.com/products/steelheadfinder-30

·
Registered
110 Posts
Steelie Addict,

According to NC website Steelhead Finder zone is designed to cast Single Spey

Since you mentioned single spey cast, Have you cast the costal or zone line?

Also, according to the website the weight of Zone 7/8 body is 550 gr/ 27', what would put a total set-up with 80 gr 10' tip at 630 gr, what seems a bit to much. for 7/8 which is not a rue Skagit line

Could be that the weight represents a total of tip and body ?

It seems that Zone is more like Rio Scandi veristip, a quite aggressive Scadi head.

By choosing a one size larger, one can turn either line into a light duty Skagit.

nextcastproducts.com/products/steelheadfinder-30
Sazan,

The Coastal and the Zone are two different lines. The Coastal is shorter for smaller rivers and the Zone is longer. I also have a Zone prototype and fished it on the Skagit while it was still open. These are quit different than a skagit line as they have quite a nice front taper. Single speys with a skagit line are not for beginners but quit easy with both the Coastal and Zone with large or small flies. I put my rod and the coastal line in the hands of a struggling newbie and he was amazed at how easy he was able to make casts he wasn't able to with his outfit. I believe he was casting and Echo rod and a Rage line. I like casting his outfit but he is quite and aggressive caster and his outfit doesn't lend very well to hitting it hard. But with my Norway and the coastal he couldn't make it fail. Grins all around.

So, yes I have the Coastal and the Zone. The Coastal I have is 610gr and the Zone is 650gr. Mind you, these are prototypes I have and not production lines Both of these are labeled 8/9.
Rick

1 - 20 of 37 Posts