Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the whole winter the Rogue has been running at summer levels allowing us to fish for the winter run with summer tactics during the warmer days. normal flows this time of year are about two and a half times this amount. The dam is holding back water anticipating the drought year, which has created some conditions that are special. How are your rivers holding up this year? I hope the Rogue doesn't get hit to hard this summer, but its special right now.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
How do your winter vs summer typical water temps compare?

Hope your water concerns are minimal this season.

·
JD
3,614 Posts
Rogue temps

Outflow from the lower part of Lost Creek Lake do not vary much from 43° summer or winter. River temperature will rise, the further downstream from the dam you go. This is especially true during the summer months, due to lack of sufficient numbers of tall shade trees.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
We've had something similar on the Cowlitz.

My buddy and I have been totally rethinking the strategies and retooling to fish it better. So far, Longer multi-D heads seem to be catching best, and smaller but still attractive kinds of flies.

I'm smacking my lips in anticipation for a shot at Chinook with stoner heads but haven't taken my shot yet. I'll agree, it's a rare year, fishing winter fish at summer flows, at least rare for now.:whoa:

The fun's just getting started in the water wars.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Spaz all my nooks have fallen for a green butt skunk on floating lines in riffley water.

·
JD
3,614 Posts
Ha ha

JD they were running in the 50's this week, Touvelle will get in the 60's in August.
Now if only we had some little R/C drones w/IR temp sensors returning real time feedback, fly them over likely holding lies, within inches of the water surface...:razz:

·
Registered
171 Posts
the rivers on the west end of the OP were in drought durinG February. There was one of two spates in March but it hasn't been high since.

its the same here on the east coast - we are at summer levels.

i'm hoping for a wet summer. :Eyecrazy:

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Spaz all my nooks have fallen for a green butt skunk on floating lines in riffley water.
Same for me, and they've been fairly few. I usually awaken from my reverie with a bomb going off on my hangdown.

I want to get into the places where they're stacked. Maybe they won't be in the deep holes, but hey! isn't that where the gear guys nail 'em?:chuckle:
It'll be fun to try anyway.

I want to pull Chinook out from under a guide boat with a 10/11 Stinger. Now doesn't that sound like FUN?:saevilw:
This is an opportunity that's rarely presented itself in my fishing life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts