Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I used 14 lb Crystal (fused) Fireline to connect a #12 Hanak 530 BL hook to a very, very small trout "Micro-Spey" fly tied on a 17 mm Fish Skull Senyo Microshank. Looped through the hook eye, is the Fireline connection slightly stronger than 14 lb because of the loop, or approximately 14 lb, or likely less?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
**should** be closer to double the breaking strength; but variables like is the hook pulling evenly on both strands, were the threads damaged while attaching the hook, static or dynamic forces, did the fireline rub the open side of the eye of the hook...

So I'd say more but probably not double

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**should** be closer to double the breaking strength; but variables like is the hook pulling evenly on both strands, were the threads damaged while attaching the hook, static or dynamic forces, did the fireline rub the open side of the eye of the hook...

So I'd say more but probably not double
Thanks, Prometheus. It will never be tested by any trout that I catch on it. Here's the "Shortshank Redemption" fly

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
432 Posts
Hi guys
You have one single line going into a knoted loop. It doesn't matter what type of line it is, it cannot be any stronger that that single line going into the knot. The loop has no bearing on the strength of the knot itself and the loop doesn't make the knot any stronger. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
BJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts