Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't been tying much lately.... mainly working on irons.... here's a small sampling of the last batch. Got about 4-5 dozen taking a nice acid batch before jappanning.

John

Four coatings of japan.... not perfect but perfect for fishing which is what they are intended for.....

Many thanks to Rob for the trial sample of his japan formula.... I'm learning how to work with it.
John

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Lookin good, really like that long one on the bottom left.

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Amazing, John! You are really getting it down. I haven't had a chance to bend the irons you so kindly gifted me, but now I have new inspiration!:lildevl:

Hope all is well up North,

Tony

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Pretty nice points and barbs, there was a couple that had gutters which stood out amongst the other for me, well done, very best of luck with the Japan. The sticky icky....:hihi:

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
I don't care who you are, those barbs are too clean and elegant to crush! I almost wouldn't want to dress those shanks - the lines are too nice to cover up!

Keep bangin' on the anvil!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks gents.... definitely a slow work in progress hobby.... tweaked my heat treating process a bit on the last group....kitchen oven for final tempering worked better than I thought. The hooks are less springy and the tempering is much more even through out the wire. I will get a group shot once I've got the jappaning completed. I have fished the previous irons that I've made and I think that this last group is a better finished product as a fishing iron. The barbs are better, but will still get a mashing from me before they hit the water!!!

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts