Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the Intruder style of pattern. My question is has anyone tried appropriate coloured intruders (ie leech black or sculpin olive) for big trout on big rivers like the Yellowstone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, Dont work at all :)

I have fished them in "trouty" colors on smaller shanks. I will use a 15mm or 20mm (vs a 35mm for steelhead intruders). Black, olive, brown, tan and orange/brown have all pulled fish for me. It is not the first pattern I fish but when the trout are getting "nippy" I go straight to it. I use Owner SSW hooks.....they will hook anything that just looks at it. I will also dress the hook w/ a little marabou to round out more of a sculpin profile vs. the shrimpy profile of the traditional tie. They have worked great on the Yellowstone, Madison, Gunnison and Platte rivers....shhhhhhh! :D

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Peter Finnis said:
I really like the Intruder style of pattern. My question is has anyone tried appropriate coloured intruders (ie leech black or sculpin olive) for big trout on big rivers like the Yellowstone?
I mean no disrespect to Ed Ward when I say this but just as the clouser is a refined jig, the intruder is a refined wooly bugger. His use of materials maximizes both suppleness and resistance to water pressure. The thing moves and pulsates like few others. But it is at heart a wooly bugger so you can of course expect it to slay trout and smallmouth in the appropriate sizes.

Did you know that the wooly bugger was originally tied with an Ostrich Herl tail? My guess is they went to marabou when they found that the herl would get overly compressed and pretty much lay back in heavier flows. Ed avoided that by throwing in the pheasant tail hackles and the deer hair collars to thow in turbulence and create mini vortexes to keep the herl kicking in the current no matter what. Pretty brilliant. folks who omit those materials should really think twice about why they were included in the first place... They were design cornerstones for a reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Trout intruders

Go for it!
Why not try some new looking patterns. You could tie some with the basic style of an intruder but with colors like a sculpin. I could see a pattern like that work very well for larger trout.
Chris

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intruders for Trout

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll have a play at coming up with a sculpin pattern in the intruder style. If the end product looks any good I'll post it for feedback.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
You usually only see pics of these in brighter steelhead colors, but here is a drab one using black and olive ostrich, black chenille, a black palmered body hackle for even more bulk, black spun deer front "hackle", and natural ringneck pheasant tail front and rear hackle. you don't need a wool head. Just sub some verigated olive black, or brown yellow chenille, and more olives and browns, and you're set!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts