Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I normally dread tying flies as it is far from my favorite thing to do in the world!!...as I like to say, "I tie out of necessity." However, when I sit down and tie them Intruder's, I just can not stop.

..and on a side note, brought a fish to hand just the other day that could not resisit my purple and black Intruder and it was a Columbia River summer-run of all fish.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Very nice Jim! I see you have found something useful to do during your rehab :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Naw... I think you have it confused with my thick head.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Click on the
button and search for "intruder" you should get pages of information, I believe the recipe might be found in there somewhere. Ed Ward revealed some of the secrets of this pattern at the Speypages/Forum booth in Seattle at the annual flyshow.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Intruder Article

Winter 2002 (Volume 3 #2) of fish & Fly has a great article on Ed Ward's Intruder, Joe's Prawn and Ally's Shrimp. Some of the history and how to fish them.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Kush,

There is no hope now for this madness you have spawned has taken over the minds of normally sane men. Intruders in winter, Intruders in Spering, Intruders in summer, Intruders in fall, Intruders in their dreams, Intruders, Intruders........... I need to find a river with normal flow and get out my low-water wets to save myself from the same fate.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
R-E-S-I-S-T-A-N-C-E

I-S

F-U-T-I-L-E...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fight or Flight

Run that past a steelhead and they have to fight or get out of there!!! But, I guess that is the idea.

Is there an optimum size for these? In other words, can they be so big that more flee than fight?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ted,

So far I couldn't tell you if there is an upper size limit - I've fished some pretty large flies that got hammered. Logic tells me that there will be a point where it is finally too big - but I've seen some fairly large squid in the fish markets :whoa:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts