Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm wondering how ya'll rig your intruders, and I'm referring to ones with a trailing stinger hook, and and up eye in front. Do you guys tie a standard clinch knot to secure ur leader to the fly? Or do you use a snell knot b/c of the up eye?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Given a choice .....

Hey all I'm wondering how ya'll rig your intruders, and I'm referring to ones with a trailing stinger hook, and and up eye in front. Do you guys tie a standard clinch knot to secure ur leader to the fly? Or do you use a snell knot b/c of the up eye?
I'm not, never have been, an 'Intruder fly' fan. But when I chucked those things the hook was a straight 'ring eye' hook. If not the leader went through the eye and leader was attached to the shank.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
knot

I lean toward using the non slip loop knot any time I can and that goes for flies tied on shanks as well. It is very strong (anyone know the percentage?) and as is said a lot allows the fiy to move around a lot.

So anyone reading this........anyone know where there's a chart comparison of strength percentages to various knots? Thanks
Best
Loren

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Loop not (rapala not) 99% of the time. I will use it from soft hackles to leech patterns and even fishing for stripes. I like the loop not because it gives the fly a lot more movement in the waters changing turbulence of a river. Plus it is one hell of a strong knot and has never let me down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For any flies other than dries, including poppers and other topwater stuff for bass fishing, I use a nonslip mono loop. It's easy to tie,gives the fly room to move and strong. I don't recall the percentage of tippet strength that it holds, but I do know that when it's tied absolutely perfectly, it will often break in the middle of the loop where it's against the eye of the hook or shank instead of in the knot, if you snag up and have to break off.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Straight shank hooks=clinch. Up or down eye=double turle if used w/ junction tubing. If hook goes directly behing tubing, then a perfection loop or a Kreh loop.

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a traditional intruder rigging, I use a loop knot to extend the hook a bit behind the shank. With a tube and junction tubing, I use snell or clinch. If I rig the rub without junction tubing, I use a loop.
Yes I rig intruders this way as well and it works fine. But on some of my intruders I attach the stinger hook to the fly shank.

I should re-phrase the question. When using an up eye traditional salmon hook, do you use a knot that attaches the leader to the shank (snelled)? Because I've used a loop knot, or clinch, it applies too much upward pressure on the up eye and tends to result in a bent hook point. I'm wondering if you guys tie a knot that snells the hook to avoid this issue. Thank you for your responses :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
For an up eye shank/hook I tie a dbl surgens loop and connect via loop to loop (well loop to up eye in this case). Make sure the loop is long enough to work around the length of the fly. I make my loops ~2/3 the length of the fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts