Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter turns 6 (unreal) this year.

I gave her a cheap 7'6 4w last year but it broke after two fish. She loves to fish

Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward an Orvis or Leland package

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Id recommend the orvis encounter combo or the st croix rio santos. Both rods have great feel and are great to use. Between the two, id lean towards orvis. The encounter reel is composite so its lighter and without giving up any quality. Plus its durable so it will take a pounding. I fish an encounter reel on my single hand steelie setup and its survived numerous big fish and a few falls.

Ben

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Ben

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I just bought my son an echo gecko, I've taken it out in the yard casting and it feels pretty dang awesome for the price! Plus it's made for kids and much more durable than a graphite rod... Oh and it has a large bottom handle :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ross Journey

My daughter started actively fishing last year so l bought her a " Ross Journey ". Nice little 7'6" 4wt. Rod and reel combo with its own case. Also came with a DVD on how to cast as well as some safety tips. Good little package for the price

·
Registered
169 Posts
Consider a Tenkara

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but consider a Tenkara outfit for a few years. My daughter just turned 8, and has been using one since she turned six. While you can't go out and fish big nymphs and streamers easily, you can us an indicator, etc. Sadie either fishes hers down and across with a beadhead or a wet fly, or uses an indicator and a nympth. She uses a single spey/roll cast much of they time. She also does a snake roll. The casts are the same as a normal fly rod, but there isn't the added complexity of so much line management, the reel, etc. Much more simple.

She is also able to hold it with both hands, which makes a big difference in her ability to not get tired, and the removal of the reel takes several ounces off the weight they have to deal with. They don't need to make supper long casts, they won't have that skill set for some years. She can fish out to about 20-25ft depending on the set up.

Here she is swinging down and across.

She can cast my single handed rods, but she uses two hands for her casts for it is easier.

I will get her something like a Gecko when she is ready for that.

I can point you to someone that carries some nice but reasonably priced tenkaras if you become interested in getting one. You should be able to get a rod and line for less than $100. Sadie's is 25% fiberglass, so it is more durable than many, and is only 11ft long. We also have an 8.5' one. An they are also great for panfish with a pink lightning bug and a pink thingamabober.:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
6 year old!!!

Really proud of you going to the effort to get your daughter started. And man those are stylin' waders?
So, I just want to recommend you stick with it! Whenever you two go out make sure it's a really cool trip for her, bring her most requested snacks, her dog, lots of clothes so she doesn't get wet and cold, and hot chocolate and all that.
I got both of my daughters started then didn't follow up and continue and they got other interests (rabbits and horses etc.). If you think fly fishing is expensive go rent a horse!
Anyway my baby girls are 46 and 43 now and don't do any fishing at all, but I will say they sure enjoy it that I have 3 of the 5 grandkids started. The two oldest boys, now 17 and 19 are wielding spey rods and hooking steelhead on the Deschutes! They both out fished me on the last trip! When the daughters were teenagers I did take them twice up to Alaska Panhandle and rent the forest service cabins (Kegan Cove and another one I can't remember) and took a little spinning gear so they could catch salmon (and they did) and they had a great time. Lots of bears around and they still talk about that. And this is good....due to weight restrictions on the way in to Castle River in a rented 19' Lund I made the oldest daughter leave 6 pairs of extra shoes that I didn't know about at the motel!
Sorry I digress........ anyway good on you and stick with it and at least for 6 or 7 years you'll have a fishing buddy. (maybe more I hope!)
So great to see this fine parenting!
Best
Loren

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great feedback!

Thank you all!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am not sure if you build rods or not, but I think you should make her one. It is not hard to do and incredibly rewarding My daughter is not even 1 yet, and I am already planning on making her a rod. You can easily customize it and make it a keepsake she will have for the rest of her life. Totally pumped to get my daughter out swinging for steel as soon as her mother allows it. My wife has some issue ever since a buddy put a hook through my face on a snap t a few years back.

Brayden

1 - 10 of 10 Posts