Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've been reading the forum for a while now and figured it was finally time to register. I have been experimenting with single hand spey casting on the smallmouth rivers here in Ohio, but it's time for me to chase the lake run fish with a two-hander. I'm looking forward to learning from the members here!

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
Welcome to the Speypages, glad you joined our community :)
Lots of great info here and members that are willing to share.
Enjoy your time here.

Mike

·
newcomer to spey casting
195 Posts
Welcome. This forum continues to teach me so much. I'm in Ohio too. Going out two handed casting tomorrow with an awesome teacher and guide, Jeff Liskay. He's an amazing teacher who can dial you in to the two hand game and knows the area like the back of his hand. Enjoy and tight lines!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! I got my start single hand spey casting before moving to two-handers. I feel the transition was pretty smooth. Look forward to hearing more about your journey.

·
newcomer to spey casting
195 Posts
I have two words of advice for two handed casting:

"Bottom hand"

I had to unlearn a bad habit of using my top hand too much rather than letting most of the acceleration come from bottom hand while top hand takes care of the stop and the straight line tracking. Lessons made the difference, but I wish I hadn't developed the bad habit in the first place. For me, that was the hardest part of the transition to two hand casting.

Bottom hand.

Boris in Ohio
P.S. did I mention "Bottom Hand?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two words of advice for two handed casting:

"Bottom hand"

I had to unlearn a bad habit of using my top hand too much rather than letting most of the acceleration come from bottom hand while top hand takes care of the stop and the straight line tracking. Lessons made the difference, but I wish I hadn't developed the bad habit in the first place. For me, that was the hardest part of the transition to two hand casting.

Bottom hand.

Boris in Ohio
P.S. did I mention "Bottom Hand?"
I've noticed that problem. I have been working on correcting it but it's not east to unlearn that habit.

·
newcomer to spey casting
195 Posts
It was very tough for me at first. It seemed impossible to unlearn the muscle memory. I slide back sometimes. I enjoyed a great day guided and taught by Jeff Liskay this past weekend. He keyed in on my bottom hand use right away. With his guidance my casts recovered from my backslide. There is nothing like effortless, tight looped and smooth casts on my 11' 4 wt Winston Microspey ♥ Heaven. Even catching a sucker didn't spoil my reverie. I know I enjoyed fishing single hand rods, but there is something beguiling about two hand casting that draws you in and keeps you learning. I will never master it, but I will try. I know I will love the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts