Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? First time poster and newish to 2 hand rods with only half a season overhead casthing a 13'9 #9 TFO Pandion at Striped Bass in the surf here on Long Island. Really enjoying it a bit and want to branch out toward spey casting. Have been using single hand rods for about 5 years now and fish nearly everyday.

I'm doing my first fly rod build which is a UHM12 Ultra High Modular Graphite Spey Rod Blank 12ft 4pc. 7/8wt blank I purchased from Anglers Roost. The rod is still in progress, next step is wraps for guides and ferrules. I'm looking to grab some line to get it going right away. Plan on using it in Western NY for Steelhead, (hopefully) Steelhead trips and in the Sound and back bays here on Long Island. Does anyone have some recommendations on line? I primarily want to spey cast with it but if there were a line that was proficient in spey casting and overhead casting that would be a huge plus. Longer or shorter head for rods of this type? An integrated head would be idea and it'll be a floater.

Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...................there are many here with great knowledge and sage advice.

I recommend trying several lines out before buying. It can become quite expensive trying to dial in a rod if you purchase lines based off of someone elses recommendation.

Basically it comes down to every persons style will dictate what weight line will work best for YOU.

I don't have any experience with the Angler's Roost rods, so I can't even give you any specific advice or a place to start.

Just thought i would say hello and give you a little advice about "trying before buying" if you can.

Poppy at the REDSHED fly shop in Peck, IDAHO will let you try lines before committing to purchase.

Have fun

1 - 2 of 2 Posts