Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dom
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've made a few prototype tube fly inserts for large C&F design boxes utilizing tapered brass pins that sucurely holds today's popular tubbing material. I am cosidering making tooling for a bigger production. Before I proceed I am interested to hear how many of you are willing to pay $55 per one insert, shipping included. One insert holds 18 flies. If things looks promising ill start shipping them by the end of January and ill be contacting speypages administrator to sponsor the site. Pictures will be uploaded shortly.

·
Dom
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to keep this thread alive for others to see. I only have a couple guys contacting me regarding these inserts but not enough to convince me it might be a profitable idea. Anyone else might be interested? No commitment to buy is necessary just trying to put the idea out there and see how quickly I could move them.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Inserts....

Maybe you ought to look at Bob Braendle's "Off The Hook" line of products-he is "RLB" on this forum. He makes boxes and inserts and manages a fly shop in Rockford, Mi....

Tom

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have the large waterproof version. Out of the commercially available tube fly boxes I've tried it's by far the best.

Maybe you ought to look at Bob Braendle's "Off The Hook" line of products-he is "RLB" on this forum. He makes boxes and inserts and manages a fly shop in Rockford, Mi....

Tom

·
Dom
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gentlemen, I understand we have a tube fly box discussion but some posts and pm's are irrelevant to the topic. Please read first.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If I understand your pricing then, that fly box will have two inserts at $55 a piece with each one holding 18 flies. So $110 for inserts? And then the fly box on top of that.

I think the design idea is pretty sweet and looks well done, but I'd struggle to get into one at that range. I'd maybe be in around $20-30 for both sides. And I don't mean that as a lowball offer or knock against your work. I think you've come up with something classy. If I take an honest look at what I'd pay vs. what value these would bring me that's probably where I'm sitting though.

It also seems like something that's for a very specific demographic (tube fly fisherman) and owners of a very specific fly box. One brand, one size.

Super nice work there...just a few things to sort out still.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I fish tube flies so here is my feedback: I think the price is too high as least for me. Eumer sells a complete fly box with more or less same design the pins rotate to allow the tubes to be removed easier, it sells for about $30. So that is what you are competing against in addition there are some other boxes using a similar design of spring pins as opposed to tapered pins, these also cost less. Just giving you some honest feedback.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
At first blush I thought your pricing was prohibitive. Having thought about it further, however, I would give these a try if you decided to go forward.

I like the flexibility of holding up to 36 tubes or a mix of 18 tubes plus however many conventional flies fit on a stock foam insert. You can probably tell that I'm not a "throw 5 flies in an Altoids tin" kind of guy:D

When I first saw the Off the Hook boxes I thought they were great but pricey. I bought one anyway. Now I have five of them and have given a couple away to friends. If you're taking a vote, I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Okay. Honest feedback...

Price: much too expensive ($110+50 for C&F = $160+) when compared to the currently available products.

Design: I believe flawed as the flies can still fall off the pins, unless you really jam them on. Also, the pin angles are stationary versus the rotating version from Eumer or offthehook solution, thus you cannot inspect all angles of the fly without taking it off the pin.

As I mentioend the offthehook box is the best design I've come across as the magnetic pins securely hold any size tube fly. It also has small magnets to hold hooks. Lastly, it comes in a nice clear doublesided waterproof fly box.

As with any business endeavour I would encourage you to buy all the competing products out there and really understand your value proposition in comparison.

Post purchase (i.e. warranty claims) is also a factor that people will consider.

I hope that helps.

·
Dom
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the feedback.

I made these boxes my personal use by investing hundreds of dollars to create a perfect tube box. C&F boxes are the highest quality fly box available, period. If you never handled one, you need to have it in your hands to appreciate it.

Tapered pins I use hold flies like a champ! They will NEVER come of, and thats without trying to jam one in there.

Like I said, I made these for my personal use because i wasnt happy with available offerings on the market. Eumer box is a joke in oppinion, Off the hook, eh... so, so. Absolutely no cost was spared here and if I could make them better regardless of cost, I will. One has to pay for quality.

As of this point things dont look promissing. Oh well, at least I am very happy with them. :razz:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts