Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a a Rio windcutter with no tips. I'm wondering if I should have bought the interchangeable tips.

What are these tips. Are they they just sinking tips? I have a floater, interemediate, fast, fast sinking by airflo. Are these tips different than what I have?

So for example, if I attached the RIO interchangeable sinking tip on, I would also have to attach my own fast sinking tip. So I would have 2 fast sinking tips. RIO+Airflo So I would then have 30 ft sinking tip section, if they were both 15 ft sinking tips.

Please explain

Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Simple explanation

The RIO tips system is basically the RIO WC cut at 15', and 30" with two loops added at each cut. It is fairly easy to do the same to an uncut line and add your own braided loops. To use the line floating you just join the loops. To use a sinking tip you remove the 15' floating tip and replace ith with a sinking tip. You need to be careful that the sinking tip matches the line, as the casting will not go well if you use a #10 sinking tip on a #8 line.

If you want a deeper sink with a given tip you can replace tip two with a replacement intermediate section that will give a 15' sinking tip to a 15' intermediate, to the remainder of the belly. RIO calls this a compensator. It gives additional depth while being easier to get out of the water and cast than a longer heavy tip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IC, so with the straight windcutter like I have, I can attach a sinking tip, with no problems. Also I can attach an intermediate and sinking tip to my line, so wouldn't the straight line with no tips be better or just as well. I'm adding more line so I should be able to cast farther than the tip system, at least 15' more.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Snoryder,

Your line you have will not cast tips very well unless you cut it back and loop it. For most applications, you will only need cut it back at 15' and put loops on each end of the cut. This way you can loop to loop back on the front 15' for fishing a floating line. For using the other tips you have, you will not use the front "floater". Instead you loop on whatever tip matches the water you are fishing.

For throwing long and heavy tips like sections of T-14 or Rio's Big Boy 24' tips, you will likely need to cut back the line another 15' and again attach loops. For throwing these tips, the two front sections of the line are removed and the tip looped on. This would also allow you to use the intermediate to fast sink combo that Ted wrote about.

Hope this helps.
sinktip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts