Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Airflo Scandi Compact and Miracle Braid shooting line. Can anyone tell me if the two can be spliced together to make an integrated line. I hate the loop to loop connection.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,059 Posts
Blind splice loop

Have you tried putting a blind splice in the Miracle Braid? It makes a lot of difference. Any other loop you tie in the MB leaves a pretty big bump, not so with the BSL.

You could strip off some of the coating on the head to expose the core and join it to the MB with some kind of a knot, there are several, and then cover the joint with heat shrink wrap. However, you lose the versatility of the shooting head when you do this. I'm very happy with the BSL connection.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David1123

I use a blind slice loop in the Miracle Braid. The problem is the black loop on the end of the Scandi Compact line. The material they use is too thick and stiff. You can feel it going through all the guides.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Have you considered cutting off the loop on the Compact Scandi and making a direct connection between the Scandi line and the braided backing?

Slide the Scandi up into the braid center,,, you may have to reduce the line coating somewhat to fit it up. A nail knot over the braid with fly tying thread (GSP) and coat with something.

Regards,
FK

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
433 Posts
I just cut off the scandi loop and put on a braided loop. Made a loop in the Miracle braid and joined the two together. You almost can't feel the loops going through your guides. I did this a week ago/ Works perfectly.
If you joint lines permanently together and you want to change the head to say a Skagit you are hooped. I recommend you don't do it.
Bjay

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,059 Posts
I agree with BJay

I wouldn't do it either. The Blind Splice on the backing will solve 90% of your concern. The 10% may well go away by ignoring it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
???

Davidstrout...

Makes a good point. Find a Scandinavian head that you can overhang 4" to 4' and the problem will no longer be an issue.

BB~

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Your water dictates how it is fished. A lot of pools on mid sized tribs here (MI) are pretty small and short.. but they sometimes hold fish.. occasionally right at your feet. I often start with just a small portion of the head and sink tip out the tip top and work out to 60' - 70' from there. Doesn't take long to cover the short pool or run so your off to next and potentially another short start.

I'm a long time fan of the first gen integrated Elixir. Been waiting a long time to try the second gen ;)

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Your water dictates how it is fished. A lot of pools on mid sized tribs here (MI) are pretty small and short.. but they sometimes hold fish.. occasionally right at your feet. I often start with just a small portion of the head and sink tip out the tip top and work out to 60' - 70' from there. Doesn't take long to cover the short pool or run so your off to next and potentially another short start.

I'm a long time fan of the first gen integrated Elixir. Been waiting a long time to try the second gen ;)
Hello.. +1 here.. Yours borano20

·
Banned
879 Posts
+2 what shotgunner said...

Beulah's new integrated Elixir V2 (rocket?) will have a redesigned taper. Hopefully it'll be close to the 1st gen Elixir front taper. Available this coming March according to Beulah...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts