Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings- I'm in the market for a pair of insulated pant to wear underneath my waders. I currently wear a pair of merino wool mid weight underwear and a pair of Redington fleece pants followed by my waders. I find that this combo makes it very restictive when bending, or walking as I like to hike to find remote areas. I've looked at Simm's and Patagonia but I'm curious what other members wear under their waders to keep warm in 33-40 degree water? My goal is to find one pair of quality insulated pants I can wear underneath my waders which I think should should make hiking and moving around much easier and comfortable.

Thanks for any advice Fella's

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I only own the simms and found I didn't have any issues whatsoever.

I'd sleep in them but her indoors won't allow it.

cheers,
shawn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shawn curious what model you use it looks like Simms offers a couple. I aldo see they have a guide one piece bib that looks Interesting. I'm curious if any of the guys have used this

·
Registered
354 Posts
A cheap pair of underwear and sweat pants from walmart.
never been cold and I fish in some of the coldest water anywhere.
I dont feel the need to spend big money on name brand stuff under my waders.

·
Dom
3,091 Posts
I've had waders that are bit tight for layers so when they gave up I set out to buy some less restricted for more mobility when layerd up.

If mobility is an issue with fleece alone then im afraid you need new waders. My Simms bootfoots are the best investment Ive made. Merino under, Simms fleece bib and Simms Coldweather pants is usually as thick as I go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I looked at the Simms bibs and they look like they might work well. So you use a merino baselayer bottom under the bibs, followed by your waders? I have Orvis waders now but think I will make the shift to Simms when I need to replace

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I have more experience backpacking in the cold than wading since I live in California. My 2 cents - I'd of course keep the merino base layers, but perhaps a synthetic "insulation" layer - such as the patagonia nanopuff pants, or the many cheaper alternatives. The primaloft insulation is physically lighter, and the inner and outer shell material is quite slick so it slides against itself and other materials. Fleece is heavy, and tends to grab. Hope this kind of gets towards the gist of your question. A bit looser with everything should help, so long as we are not talking about fleece.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Polypro long underwear as a base then synthetic, light weight breathable pants as my final layer before the waders. Been wearing breathables year round now for about 5 or 6 years, before then I was all about neoprenes at least in the winter. Neoprene was nice and warm - when you weren't moving, but like you I like to hike a lot while fishing - and I would get overheated, sweaty, and then cold. Multiple light weight layers with some breathable or wicking fabrics under breathable waders make for a lot more comfort. If I get cold, it's time to get out of the water, and honestly when it is so cold that the water is in the 30's - I try my best to stay out of it altogether. The waders get donned more as wind breaking warm rain pants at that point than for actual wading.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I layer a lot because I don't have a lot of "natural" insulation to say. So I wear synthetic everything. Underwear is synthetic, Simms long polartec base layer, thin fleece pant then Patagonia nano puff pants. I layer with three socks along the same lines as the leg area. If the weather is less than 32, insulated Simms boot foots are a must. If not, stocking foots are used. Hope you figure it out. Worth the price to pay for quality.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use any of the cold weather compression type of long underwear. I end up sweating when walking if I'm wearing neoprenes when it's cold. I don't use the breathables in the winter...

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Simms Guide Fleece pants or Patagonia Expedition Weight bottoms are what I wear as I found them on sale several years ago. If I were to add a layer it would be a lightweight Capilene under either of the above, but generally just wear one of the bottoms with breathable waders. If wearing neoprene's for a duck hunt for instance I go with the Patagonia's as they're form fitting and don't pile up under the waders.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For very cold

Simms extremely pants are perfect for cold conditions. Not perfect if you are walking a long way, they will cook you out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Simms Cold Weather pants with a thin wicking layer underneath. If its really cold I'll throw on a pair of Cabelas ECWS expedition weight thermals, but it has to be reallllly cold for those (like twice a year lol). I wear breathables year round if that makes a difference.

For what it is worth, ALWAYS be thinking moisture wicking and movement. If you have a layer against your skin that retains moisture you will feel cold regardless of how many/what kind of layers you have on. If you get sweaty walking in or wading you are in trouble.

J-

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
the way I understand it is merino will wick moisture and stay warm whereas polyprop will dry quicker if soaking wet.
therefore I reckon poly up top and merino in your pantillos.

disclaimer: I'm only repeating what I've been told. I managed to stay pretty dry when I was out your way in november.
sunny and dry. not good for the steelheads, hey.

cheers,
shawn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems a lot of you are wearing merino long underwear followed by Simm's cold weather pants then your waders. Honestly I never gave any thought to the pants simply because I thought they were just that pants and they would be too bulky under waders. A couple questions I have is what is the difference between the Extream cold water pant and the regular Cold Water Pant other than 100 bucks? Do you like one verses the other? Do guys wearing them under waders find that they bulky? and do they offer good freedom of movement when hiking? it looks like they have velcro around the cuffs so you can tighten them up. Can you confirm this? Looks like a great pant and might get the nod for my mid layer bottoms.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mike,

I have both sets of pants. Both are great products. The Extream are really good in cold water/cold weather days. They are a bit puffy when stuffing myself into the waders but this is about comfort and the ability to fish all day and not a fashion statement. Both pants have the velcro around the cuffs. If your going to get the Extream you better use them in really cold water and weather, they are very toasty.

-Tony

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
My take on the OP was that he was wondering about his options for freer motion when hiking. He didn't explicitly mention that he was even too cold with the fleece. It might be a combo of what type of insulation he is using and the fit. I think in general looser and slipperier will help.

As someone that used capiline base layers for 2 decades (I live only a few miles from a Patagonia "discount" outlet) for outdoor activities I have now wholeheartedly made the switch to merino for the next-to-skin layer. People have been extolling it to me for years, but for some reason I was resistant. It dries fast and feels great against the skin, is less stinky, but it IS more expensive and wears out faster. Interesting to see how many people on here use it. Not sure that would have been the case 15 years ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts