Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of advice or the best way to install studs into some felt soled boots. do you just thread in the studs or do you glue and thread them in?
i appreciate all suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
A little test

I didn't use it on felt but I believe the principle should be the same. I got a brand new pair of rubber soled boots and I was losing studs on just about every outing. I placed 10 alumbites, 6 hard bites, and 16 sheet metal screws into each boot. On one boot I placed copious amounts of gorilla glue on the threads before installation of every stud. The other boot I placed them in bone dry with no adhesive. I went on a trip with lots of hiking for a couple of days and when I came home all of studs were still in place with the gorilla glue boot, and 2 were missing on the boot w/o any adhesive. Not exactly a double blind scientific study but I do feel that the gorilla glue helps out. It is nice to know considering those alumabites are spendy no doubt. And FYI now my boots grips grip like a snow cat. Unreal traction.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Especially on felt...if you spray a little water into the hole or in the area where the stud is going, it will work even better. The water causes the Gorilla glue to expand, penetrating the fibers of the felt, and creating not only a stout "casing" but a better bond.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am in need of advice or the best way to install studs into some felt soled boots. do you just thread in the studs or do you glue and thread them in?
i appreciate all suggestions.
Thanks
I've never had any studs fall out of my felt soles, and I've worn out one set and screwed in new one's recently. The boots I use are the Simm's Freestone felt sole boots. I've never used glue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right on guys thanks for the directions... i was thinking the glue would be a good insurance policy so to speak . i will definatly try it. Again thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
grip studs

google grip studs, the company makes studs for surf casters, a video of montack surf casters testing the studs on jetties in montauck on company site. grip studs sells kit,studs and tool to apply studs to boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gorilla glue is great, waterproof and expands. Whatever you do, don't use epoxy if you are going to glue them in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've never had any studs fall out of my felt soles, and I've worn out one set and screwed in new one's recently. The boots I use are the Simm's Freestone felt sole boots. I've never used glue.
+1, never felt the need for the glue.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I bought a bag of the Kold Kutter studs used for motorcycles on ice - they are really cheap and work well and I have not lost any in felts without glue

·
Registered
850 Posts
No glue, just secrew them in. Check out Goat head studs. "lost creek fly shop sells them" There quite a bit cheaper than the Simms

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
'Gorilla Glue' could hold anything going together.

Especially on felt...if you spray a little water into the hole or in the area where the stud is going, it will work even better. The water causes the Gorilla glue to expand, penetrating the fibers of the felt, and creating not only a stout "casing" but a better bond.
Directions even say 'metal to metal;' that I can believe.

BUT! as 'II' says above GG is WATER ACTIVATED when first applied. Your felt bottoms don't have to be sloppy wet, but they do have to be wet. Glue 'expands' as it sets. As another fellow says above I also use the motor cycle 'Kold Kutter's' for cleats. Those are, to put it mildly, "aggressive" when it comes to grabbing onto slippery rocks. :smokin:

Been awhile since I've been stable enough to wade over my boot tops but (Parkinson's is the shxts) but when planted the KK's on the bottom my Wellington knee highs keep me planted.

fae

·
Registered
748 Posts
Directions even say 'metal to metal;' that I can believe.
as 'II' says above GG is WATER ACTIVATED when first applied. Your felt bottoms don't have to be sloppy wet, but they do have to be wet.

fae
+1

I had the fly shop install my first set of studs (Simms, IIRC) in my felt bottomed Simms boots.

Hadn't had them a month and I lost the first one and noticed another six or so that were loose.

I'm not a very big fellow, and I'm 69. So it wasn't hard or treacherous wading that caused the loss.

The GG put an end to that nonsense.

But I'm not going to try to defend using it. (For that matter, I didn't know it was a debate...or a matter of controversy.)

Use the glue or don't, your call, but it worked for me--thought I'd share..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts