Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple I tied last night after my intruder poll question.

I just can't get away from tying intruders...... Its just so fun, and I love to build a fly attempting to maximize the undulation factor.

While tying the purple and pink combo I made some minor changes and like the way this fly turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Steelhead will really, really put some hate'n on those.

·
Registered
98 Posts
They work for me

Nice looking intruders
If l didn't know any better I'd say they came out of my box.

Well done !

·
Banned
461 Posts
Intruder flies

Hey guys,

I have a question, and the question isn't tilted to being sarcastic, It's a honest question.....Do people use the intruder fly cause they think it works better then most other Steelhead flies...Or is the fly just a fad?

Where I fish for steelhead in low clear water the fish would run for their lives if a big 3 inch intruder was cast at them....Just wondering

Carl

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

I have a question, and the question isn't tilted to being sarcastic, It's a honest question.....Do people use the intruder fly cause they think it works better then most other Steelhead flies...Or is the fly just a fad?

Where I fish for steelhead in low clear water the fish would run for their lives if a big 3 inch intruder was cast at them....Just wondering

Carl
People (including myself) use intruders for many different reasons, and I can tell you from experience that they work. However there is a time and a place for them, they aren't an end all be all fish catching machine.

Here is something to keep in mind: intruders aren't meant to be cast "at" fish If you're fishing slack tidal water or some of the pools on the Russian, they may not be your best tool. They are more or less meant to be cast across river and swung through a probable holding or resting area of fish. Because in general a large fly, skagit line and sink tip contacting the water will spook a fish.

But here are some reason that I like to fish them:
- They work well on fish as they start to become more territorial.
-Faster currents with small pockets of holding lies. The materials allow the fly to maintain a good shape in heavy current
- Any time I want a heart stopping blistering take. In my experience when a fish grabs an intruder, there is no mistake. One time I did almost loose my rod and almost fell off balance due to loosing my footing at my surprise of the take.
( another time I was fishing once with my dad on the Trinity, a fish hit so hard I needed no hook set. When I told my dad who was standing directly behind me that I had a fish on he was puzzled until he saw my line leaving the reel like mad. This was before I had a click and pawl and it was the low and clear water of the Trinity).
- To paraphrase something I read stated by Mr Ward: a fish that is willing to take an intruder is a fish worth catching. Most of the time they are hot fish, full of energy and they are willing to hunt and attack your fly (either out of aggression or feeding response- the jury is still out on that) vs alternate techniques that may inadvertently result in hooking tired or worn out fish
- when the water is colored up with bright skies or when the water is low clear and overcast or low light.

Also I fish a lot of methods on the swing. Skaters, floating line wets & deep sunk flies. When I am fishing deep sunk flies, usually I am running a bigger fly like an intruder or rabbit leech.

Additionally when you look at these flies, they are smaller than they seem. They are 2 sage slapen propped up with fox and an an overlay of ostrich. In the water they will keep a good profile but still maintain a translucent appearance, but the ostrich will thin out a lot an move freely. The fly is about 2 inches to the end of the shank, maybe just over 3 to the hook.

·
Banned
461 Posts
intruder fly

lol who is this guy? If this guy is for real, he's the biggest asshat in fishing history. If not, he's the best troller on any fishing forum I've ever seen. Hilarious.
LOL it seems when "most no it all" fisherman like PGK or whatever his name is, don't have the answer to a quality question, they have to reply with a sarcastic answer....I knew you wouldn't have the answer.

Thanks to the other guys for trying to answer .

Carl

·
Banned
461 Posts
People (including myself) use intruders for many different reasons, and I can tell you from experience that they work. However there is a time and a place for them, they aren't an end all be all fish catching machine.

Here is something to keep in mind: intruders aren't meant to be cast "at" fish If you're fishing slack tidal water or some of the pools on the Russian, they may not be your best tool. They are more or less meant to be cast across river and swung through a probable holding or resting area of fish. Because in general a large fly, skagit line and sink tip contacting the water will spook a fish.

But here are some reason that I like to fish them:
- They work well on fish as they start to become more territorial.
-Faster currents with small pockets of holding lies. The materials allow the fly to maintain a good shape in heavy current
- Any time I want a heart stopping blistering take. In my experience when a fish grabs an intruder, there is no mistake. One time I did almost loose my rod and almost fell off balance due to loosing my footing at my surprise of the take.
( another time I was fishing once with my dad on the Trinity, a fish hit so hard I needed no hook set. When I told my dad who was standing directly behind me that I had a fish on he was puzzled until he saw my line leaving the reel like mad. This was before I had a click and pawl and it was the low and clear water of the Trinity).
- To paraphrase something I read stated by Mr Ward: a fish that is willing to take an intruder is a fish worth catching. Most of the time they are hot fish, full of energy and they are willing to hunt and attack your fly (either out of aggression or feeding response- the jury is still out on that) vs alternate techniques that may inadvertently result in hooking tired or worn out fish
- when the water is colored up with bright skies or when the water is low clear and overcast or low light.

Also I fish a lot of methods on the swing. Skaters, floating line wets & deep sunk flies. When I am fishing deep sunk flies, usually I am running a bigger fly like an intruder or rabbit leech.

Additionally when you look at these flies, they are smaller than they seem. They are 2 sage slapen propped up with fox and an an overlay of ostrich. In the water they will keep a good profile but still maintain a translucent appearance, but the ostrich will thin out a lot an move freely. The fly is about 2 inches to the end of the shank, maybe just over 3 to the hook.
Thanks man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts