Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone used this rod ? Is it a double handed or single handed ? The handle sure looks strange. How is it supposed to be used? I'm thinking about a light rod for summer salmon fishing on medium to small sized rivers...
Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
all the best
Swordfish :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's a switch rod, meaning it can be cast either single or double-handed. The grip is kind of weird looking, but makes sense. The extension gives you better positioning for two-handed casting. I've heard good things about it, and am considering picking one up myself. Dana or Whistler should be able to give you some more info on the rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Hi,
thanks for the piece of information; first time I've heard about switch rods. Sounds interesting. Waiting for some more from Dana or Whistler.
Thanks again!

·
Streameraddict
15 Posts
The undertaker be right, it is a true switch rod. I picked one up this spring for Dolly season in Haines AK and found it was just the ticket. I could make underhand casts with ease and in certain situations revert to an overhand cast for stripping flies in calm water. One improvement would be to extend the but section by two or four rings to provide a more pronounced lower handle. I am building a custom one to such specs in order to prove my theory.

fly down-rod in hand

·
Streameraddict
15 Posts
Yo Undertaker,

I can hook you up with a Loop LBL 11689-3 demo rod if you are in the Yukon area this summer.
Blog me and we will chat :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts