1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From FFUSA (Mark B's web site)

We just got this up-date from Dr. Way Yin
concerning the Musto International Spey Casting Championship
This year's Musto International Spey Casting Championship was held at Harewood House near Leeds, England. The finalists were Scott McKenzie, from Inverness, Scotland, Ian Gordon from Speyside, Steve Choate, Matthew Tonkin from Cornwall, England, Brendon Begley, from Ireland, and myself. The general field included two gentlemen from Japan as well. Scott McKenzie took first place with a fantastic cast of 51 yards using my personal XLT 10/11 and an 17' 11" Bruce and Walker. Ian Gordon finished 2nd (49 yards) using a custom 18 foot Carron rod and a prototype 90 foot belly Jetstream line. I was lucky in third place (46 yards again) using a 16 foot Scott A2 prototype and an XLT 9/10. Steve tied for fourth with a disappointing cast of 42 yards (Burkheimer 18 foot custom and 10/11 XLT) with Matthew Tonkin (18 foot Bruce and Walker with 10/11 XLT) and Brendon Begley finished 6th (34 yards) using an 18 foot Clan rod and an Airflo prototype line. The competition was held on stillwater (lake), and the wind made things challenging (side-onshore from the right). During the finals, the wind did die for the last three casters (Brendon, Ian, and Scott) to give the fans lining the grandstand a great demonstration of distance spey casting in difficult conditions.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Oh dear Fred

Scroll down to 2003 Musto this thread has been running for a week now.

I even mentioned you, I see the big boys are all using a 18ft B&W we should be expecting great things on the Rogue.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See what happens if you don't pay attention to..

the board for a few days.

Great thread going Willie; and I'm pleased as punch you got to meet Steve and Way. You can see why the Charity Spey Clinic is such a huge success ..... these are the instructors!

fae

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great instructors

Fred,
great blokes and great instructors, I had a short lesson from Way, I thought I could spey cast, but he found so many faullts and helped so much. I was out today and was throwing an extra 10 yds wow. I even tried some Snake rolls but now they need serious practice.

Then I remembered Way saying "lead with your groin" big improvement.

When is this charity clave

·
JD
3,609 Posts
When is this charity clave?

Willie,

The Rogue River Charity SpeyClinic has been held in mid April the last two years. I'll see if I can pin Fred down on the exact dates.
And since word is getting out that this is a really good thing, highly recommend early, very early, sign up as class size is limited in order to get maximum time with Steve and Way for each and everyone.

The Sandy River Spey Clave follows about a month later. Check www.flyfishusa.com (one of our sponsers) for dates.

Love to have you over.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slight correction to Jim's post above on Charity

clinic dates. The past two years it's been around the 3'rd weekend in March. This gives the fellows, et. al. a couple of months to practice and 're-meet' the Masters at the Sandy 'Clave which usually falls the end of May.

We do the deed the end of March as the river still has a substantial number of winter runs in the upper river so fellows can combine the Clinic and 'real fishing' after class. Dates for next year will fall about the same AND if you're considering a trip across the pond I'll make darned sure there's "room at the inn" and a fluffy pillow with your name on it.
:D

"Feel your pain" with the snake roll until I got a 'private lesson' from Way and Steve after class this year. Main trick was not to make the 'circle' (actually it's an oval) large (45 degrees approx.) and to be accellorating through the bottom of the loop. Too big a loop, too slow and it's over for me.

fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Malcolm,

It appears from the link you provided on the Dee's fish kill that many folks think more of their lawns than the fish. A sad commentary indeed on how mankind takes its stuwardship responsibilities. Reminds me of some ranchers I knew in Montana who insisted on removing all the water they were allocated to flood irrigate some hay fields, while the nearby river was dewatered and all the fish killed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts