Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like RIO's new Scandinavian Shooting Heads are causing quite a stir! For anyone interested in learning the casting techniques commonly associated with these types of lines, I am in the middle of a 3-part series on the Underhand Cast in the Spey Pages Newsletter. More information is available from me at [email protected].

Remember that your subscription helps keep this site alive. Thanks for your support!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dana, I have a question for you.
Rio Scandinavian shooting heads are not known yet in Russia. However they should appear at us before opening of a season on the Kola peninsula. Last years we see the very large growth of popularity of Skagit casting. We do not have experience of use Rio the Scandinavian shooting heads, but we used Gudeline shooting heads. For my T&T DH-1409 I use Guideline Power Taper sinking shooting heads #9-10 for period of cold water (middle of may to middle of june) and Triangle Taper Spey #9 for summer fishing. If I shall use Rio the Scandinavian shooting heads #9-10 with sink tips, they will load correctly my rod?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrey!

Welcome to the speyclave!

Simon Gawesworth has put together a comprehensive list of rod and line combinations for Rio products. You can see it here. For the T&T 1409 rods, he recommends either the 8/9 or the 9/10 Scandinavian heads, depending on how you like the rod/line combination to feel during a cast. I have a few of the heads and I prefer the lighter line weight if I am using the head at its full length (for your rod I would choose the 8/9) or the heavier line weight (9/10 for your rod) if I intend to cut the line back to make it a shorter shooting head.

And now a question for you: how did you find out about this website?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, Dana.
I have found this website through search system. And I read with pleasure. Unfortunately, I have not seen at once updating of the Simon Gawesworts recommendation about Scandinavian shooting heads. Now I know, I prefer the lighter lines and I shall stop a choice on #8-9.

In the winter I live in Moscow and mid-may to mid-october in Murmansk area. I do not work as the guide, but constantly I go on the different rivers and catching with my friends from Murmansk. For big fish I prefer Kola-river.
If any fresh information from our places is necessary, I shall tell. Last two years flyfishing in Russia develops very dynamically. In Murmansk flyfishing became mass hobby. Many anglers (including me) prefer "catch - release". The beats of the rivers for "catch - release" are more in length and more interestingly, than beats for "catch - kill".
Excuse for my bad English, I only study in language.:confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Andrey keep the info coming!

Sorry for the late post on this, just found same looking for something else.

And 'not to worry' about your English ... I suspect you speak it as well, or better, than a lot of us.:hehe:

But, from previous posts a fair number of board members actually do fish in Russia. Reasonably timely information (whether we're going or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Fred Evans (a 'one generation removed' Ukrainian-Pole. The Welsh last name is from my fathers side of the family.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts