Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my annual salar hunt , I discovered that what I planned to use as a wading jacket was not very waterproof at all . While the jacket that I was wearing was extremely windproof and had some nice pockets for XL fly boxes and a great hood , it failed miserably keeping the rain out .
I don't mind spending some cash , but when I do , I would like the garment to perform .

Some features I am looking for in a wading jacket :

- waterproof
- windproof
- inner waterproof pocket (security)
- easy hood adjustment
- outer pockets for some stuff (not necessarily for fly boxes)
- hand warmer pockets would be nice
- adjustable wrist cuffs (not elastic type)
- some where for a zinger (for clippers)

I was looking at the Patagonia SST and the Simms Guide jackets .
I know Vision use to make some nice stuff too as well as Orvis .
I am really open to suggestions though , what you guys use and any good or bad comments or experiences .

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
My preference is Patagonia SST. Day after day, year after year it keeps me dry. G3 & G4 Jackets are nice, lots of bells and whistle's but they do not keep me as dry as the SST.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Have you considered Redington?

Redington makes some very good wading jackets. I am on my second, first one passed on to my son-in-law after six years. Ultrasonic sealed rather than sewn seams, nice assortment of pockets, good fit for sturdy fellows like myself, and at lower prices than the choices you mentioned. Cheers, Buff.

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
It's really hard to beat a Simms guide jacket. The one that I have now is going on its ninth year. Still dry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had the Simms G4 for forever and it has never let me down. I have worn it almost every time i go fishing because it is such a good wind blocker and its nice if i need to reach into the water. I bushwhack like crazy and am really really hard on my gear. All in all I am very happy with it. However, if you are using it mostly for 2 handed casting something without so many pockets on the front might be better.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,267 Posts
Still looking for something I don't like about my Simms G3 jacket, I give everything a pretty good beating here and this is a good jacket.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the simms g3 jacket paid for itself on two trips this year the guide I was with had to change twice and I was bone dry in a torrential down pour you cant go wrong with this jacket.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Buy two. And rotate them through the wet weather. Same with wool gloves. And socks.

Redington and Filson. Cuz sometimes old school needs a little new school. And vice versa.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Between Simms and Gucci your gonna be dry and have feature, the big thing for me is service. I've heard others have good things to say about Patagonia but myself and many others have had some rough dealings with them... Simms on the other hand is quite different, its rare that their service isn't amazing I.e. I sent my wife's waders in (a cheaper non gor tex pair) just to have them inspected (don't know if they even leak) and not two weeks later we had a box of brand new waders on the porch...

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Patagonia SST, Simms Slick. The Simms Guide jacket keeps out the rain, but is so warm, your sweating inside. No good.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Fished in a Simms Guide for years, but recently replaced it with a G3. Tested it on a Deschutes trip recently with a little bit of everything including an afternoon of hard rain. I was impressed! It performed well.

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might want to look at a Bare, totally water and wind proof, great hood and a fraction of the cost of the big names. In B.C. it really rains and this jacket has stood the test of time for me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Simms jackets have too many gimmicky features (i.e. retractor clips) and cumbersome pockets that catch the rod butt while spey casting. The fit of the jackets tend to be for someone on the obese side. Simms jackets use Gore Tex. Simms appears to be more interested in making a jacket for chubby trout fishermen who carry around half a dozen fly boxes, hemostats, clippers etc... stuff one doesn't need fishing steelhead.

Patagonia's wading jackets use H2NO, which is far inferior to Gore Tex. The cut and more minimalistic front (i.e. no oversized breast pockets) on the River Salt is better for spey casting.

Arcteryx jackets are far better built than wading jackets in the same price range, but they do not offer cuffs that are watertight like on the Simms or Patagonia. Some models offer shorter cuts similar to wading jackets.

The best wading jacket made at the moment, IMO, is the Patagonia Super Alpine, an ice climbing jacket. Patagonia is allowed by Gore to make climbing jackets but not fishing jackets. Gasket cuffs, Gore Tex Pro Shell, no frilly pockets... its expensive though. http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-super-alpine-jacket-for-alpine-climbing?p=83647-0

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
if you fish a lot and for multiple days - Paul's idea of needing two is great advice - I have the G4 and it has done well but is not great as my sleeves still get wet - my next jacket coming soon will be the guide - sig cost savings and based on discussions with a number of folks who fish a lot - a better all around jacket - though mainly for winter work as it can be warm in the summer/fall

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would just look into a quality gore tex jacket. Then you can use it for hiking skiing ect as well, not just fishing. And it will be packable for hiking ect when it's not raining or you are heating up.

The patagonia wading jacket is on sale on patagonia online. I was tempted to get it,was a really good deal. I probably would if I was sitting in a drift boat, but I hike when I fish.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Fishing jackets have been the biggest source of disapointment for me regarding fishing equipment and gear. I haven't owned one that has worked for more than a couple of months, basically until the DWR has worn off. I have unsucesfully tried re proofing various jackets using various methods and products. I'm reverting back to what I spent 25 years wearing as a carpenter; Halley Hanson and wool. Yes I am going to be wet, I always am already, so there is no difference. I figure with the many hundreds of dollars I will be saving on over priced seriously under performing jackets I'll be reinvesting those savings into merino base layers....seriously....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts