Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend and fishing buddy, Paul Huntsman passed away last week after a long illness. I shared his love of spey casting, Carron lines, Steelhead and British Columbian rivers especially the Dean. He was a supervising sound editor and his passing was noted at last nights' Oscar Awards in Hollywood.

In his honor I would like to share a few lines from a Roderick Haig-Brown essay that was read at Haig-Brown's funeral.

"The Death of the Salmon"

from Fisherman's Fall
by Roderick Haig-Brown

"Do they all die after spawning? Yes. Even the pink salmon after a life of less than two years? Even the great and powerful king salmon? Even the jacks, the precocious males that come back after only one short year in the sea? Yes, they all die. Not a single one of all the hosts upon hosts that come in from the sea lives to spawn a second time.

It is natural for a man to resent this, I suppose, to feel that it is wasteful and shocking, in some way unnatural.... Now I have lived so long with this fact of collective, simultaneous death that I no longer resent or question it. Instead I find it fitting and beautiful....Once I pitied the salmon in this state. Now I love them. They are death itself in a shell of life, but that remaining shell of life, though without hope or reason...is impressive.

But until that last strength is gone the will to live is still in them and finds its expression....I see them now on the shallows near my house, often two fish together, slowly forced down by the current, turning fiercely against it as it presses on their broad thin flanks and warns them of their weakness. It is the sort of thing man has glorified in himself as the undying spirit of man. Seeing it here so clearly, long after hope and purpose have gone, I can recognize it for what it is: the undying spirit of animals. I find it no less admirable."

Thank you, Paul, for being my friend.

Zail Khalsa

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Zail -

My sympathies to you and his family. Your post was very touching.

sinktip

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
moving.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts