Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to find a potential source of cheap but small amount of what looks to be chatterer and toucan feathers but it needs to be shipped from Argentina. I don't want to get in trouble for importing something thats not allowed. I'll stay away from it if im not convinced its 100% legal.

·
Lagartun Pro Staff
439 Posts
Getting feathers from birds on the cites list across any border, that do not come with a valid cites permit is illegal. If you buy them it's your risk.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im staying away from it...

Just got of the phone with weaver breeder... lol... don't you ever tell them you want them dead before getting them shipped... :D

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin, you have a PM

:)

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,706 Posts
Usually

You show very sound judgement

Appears not to be the case this time:eek:

Have them send in an envelope to avoid the scrutiny boxes get and have that person label it craft materials, not the obviousness of fly tying material.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Gotta ask

So this is a serious question and no attempt to start a pissing match. How is it that I can buy jungle cock from the UK, and it shows up at my door w no paperwork, legal documentation etc ??:confused: isn't that importing feathers from another country ? I really don't get all the legalities on these matters. There are tons of feather merchants on the big auction site from all over the world, really, I don't get it. Maybe someone can enlighten me ??

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
But

I would not post how to on the internet:devil:

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
No harm or foul

Just surprised

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
So this is a serious question and no attempt to start a pissing match. How is it that I can buy jungle cock from the UK, and it shows up at my door w no paperwork, legal documentation etc ??:confused: isn't that importing feathers from another country ? I really don't get all the legalities on these matters. There are tons of feather merchants on the big auction site from all over the world, really, I don't get it. Maybe someone can enlighten me ??
Hi Matt,

My very best advise on this topic is 'don't ask, don't tell'.

I have always been curious when people advertise their intentions to acquire tying materials on the www. I have been tying flies and fishing with them since I was young. In that time I have never knowingly violated FF&W laws and even if I had I would not tell a soul about what I had done. In the 45 years that I have been required to have a valid fishing license I have had my credentials checked 5 times and never was questioned when I was under 16 years old. During those 5 license checks the only other concern I would have had was that if fishing in Special Regulation Waters, I had the correct tackle configuration in use on those waters. Never has any enforcement officer checked my fly boxes to examine the flies for various hair - feather or etc. to see if I was some sort of bad guy.

With all due respect to everyone, I would suggest that if I wanted some materials for tying classics with no worries I would order for one of the domestic suppliers that can be rounded up searching Classic Salmon Fly Materials. By doing so you have zero worries, although if I were to order from someone off shore I would be taking into consideration what it was that I was ordering before continuing with the deal. Still in the end, some things are just better left unsaid when it comes to the www.

Ard

·
Registered
323 Posts
Totally agree with Ard on this one, probably a good idea. Here in Canada it is nice tho, we now have domestic jc which is of fantastic quality for example, then subs are just fantastic (and cheap).

If you need to know more about this, plenty of information on the google. One of my favourite references talks about it in this article.

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/the salmon flyer/salflyer/vol_9/spring/legal.html

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Check it out...

When we have any concern (which we all should have) about feathers (or indeed other natural materials) for fly tying, useful online resources include:

Cites.org/eng/disc/how.php [how CITES works, the appendices explained]

Cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php [the Appendices I, II & III, listing the species in the different categories]

It is also useful to know any national and state restrictions on the movement (importation & exportation) as well as ownership and/or trade in such items.

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with Ard except for the "don't ask don't tell". I understand the well meant intent of that but I really don't feel that the need to tie a Classic Salmon Fly is worth the extinction of any species of animal. Domantas obviously you made the right decision to insist on 100% compliance.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
I agree with Ard except for the "don't ask don't tell". I understand the well meant intent of that but I really don't feel that the need to tie a Classic Salmon Fly is worth the extinction of any species of animal. Domantas obviously you made the right decision to insist on 100% compliance.
I guess I should have given a little preamble to that statement I made. What I meant is that over the years I've seen lots of, 'I found a dead heron' or I picked up some XXXXX feathers alongside the river while fishing the other day, can I use these? It is those situations that I believe in don't ask don't tell as a good rule. For the purchase of exotics I would defer to the part about using domestic sellers who are as close as we can get to being in compliance. Myself, I use dyed chicken hackles for many substitutes. I've never bought many of the feathers like Cock of The Rock, Toucan, and many others. My exotics are things like Blue Ear Pheasant, jungle Cock and so on.

Sorry if I came off a bit vague with what I said :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks guys for your input, but in all honesty, I'm still sitting here scratching my head. I still don't get it.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Honyuk96,

The issue is are you willing to get arrested by the feds for a US federal felony and face up to $10,000.00 US for each neck, skin, or feather (if loose feathers) and up to 10 years in prison for each neck, skin, or feather (if loose feathers) because you bring in or possess illegal feathers that are on the CITIES list. If so, go for it. Me, not a chance it isn't worth it.

Also, keep in mind that many UK suppliers have the necessary CITIES export and import (yes both are needed, one to send them to another country, and one to be received in a different country) permits so they don't have to include them in the shipment, but the CITIES permit numbers will be listed somewhere on the package, or bar code.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Honyuk96,

The issue is are you willing to get arrested by the feds for a US federal felony and face up to $10,000.00 US for each neck, skin, or feather (if loose feathers) and up to 10 years in prison for each neck, skin, or feather (if loose feathers) because you bring in or possess illegal feathers that are on the CITIES list. If so, go for it. Me, not a chance it isn't worth it.

Also, keep in mind that many UK suppliers have the necessary CITIES export and import (yes both are needed, one to send them to another country, and one to be received in a different country) permits so they don't have to include them in the shipment, but the CITIES permit numbers will be listed somewhere on the package, or bar code.
Ok thanks, that makes a little more sense. I wish I still had my packaging from some stuff I've recieved. I was not aware of this CITIES permit numbers on the packaging itself. Interesting. Thank you for sharing your knowledge in regards.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not that complicated!

The Exporter can only posses a license to export...they can't own the ability to own a U.S. import license and reside in another country. Kind of why, for example, Montana Fly Company (importers in Montana) and Chiang Mai Fly (Montana Fly Co in Thailand) have to work as separate entities. One exports, one imports and due to paperwork with values attached...U.S. customs knows how to declare a value/legality etc. on the shipment based on the article the stuff being imported falls into.

Yes, all of the feathers that have made it to whoever's house is illegal based on what I have read previously in the thread. I don't think any of the stuff you guys are finding on-line...purchasing and receiving from other countries care. You buy, you pay...they ship. That does not make it legal, but often times it makes it from A to B..

1). Should not be a cites species...No import license makes those legal
2). You need a U.S. Fish & Wildlife import license...That is a couple of hundred bucks to get...$145.00 per shipment. You need to know the Genus, Species, Origin of the product and type of product like skin piece, feather, fur being shipped.

All product entering from other countries go through U.S. customs through x, xx, or xxx port. Those get logged and to state managers. It is most likely a matter of time before a state representative would like to know where, what, why and how much?

Right now Denmark is cracking down on illegal J.C. and I hear from reliable sources people with birds and no documentation are being fined and enjoying some jail time.

BB~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts