Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Normally, I wear the Columbia Cotton Fishing Shirts with the Oxygen Blue color. It is a color that is comfortable in the warm to hot Northern California Sun. I normally wear a Rio Tan Fishing Hat or one of my Tan Tilley hats. My waders are the standard Simms Sage color.

In the past couple of weeks I have been fishing Putah Creek which is near to my home and inspite of recently allowing bait fishers, it still has a lot of good native trout in it from 12" to 2'+ hogs in it. Most of the Natives are caught and released, and fishing is heavy with fly fishers, metal casters and bait hogs. So the natives become very wary critters.

I like to fish with dry flies, which is against the common theory that dries don't work. I normally do okay, but catch very few fish closer than 30' and do better when there is wind causing a ripple effect.

I fish the same area as it is great for Skagit and regular Spey casting, and impossible for a one handed rods.

Last week, we had one of our first cool to cold days. I wore the Cabella's Thermo Max Shirt in a Sage color like my Simms waders. For some reason I put on an old camo hunting cap. I had one of the best days ever :) and I caught a lot fish out at 20' from where I was casting. Most fish were caught on a size 18 Elk Hair Caddis brown dry fly.

Yesterday, I was at the same spot with a Blue Colored Cabella's Thermo shirt and the Tilley's shiney Tan Baseball Type Cap. There were no close strikes. Any strike was about +50' away and only in wind rippled waters. I used the same flies, leader and tippet. I even went from my Skagit 450 with a floating tip to my MS 6/7 Floating line, and that didn't help. :(

Are the fish able to see Blue as well out of water as they can in the water?

Could the shiny appearance of the Tilleys and the tan color be a warning to fish? :confused:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
The sort answer is yes! There have been numerous studies on the ocular sensitivity of anadromous fish and the evidence I have seen all agrees that the only two colors that fish can't see are black and grey heather. One study even suggested that these two colors may suppress the flight instinct while triggering both the feeding and fighting instict.

By a strange coincidence only found on top-notch websites, these two colors are the only colors offered for your official Speypages t-shirts. Order yours today and catch more fish tomorrow. :razz:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a great sale pitch! I'll take two heather xxl's

sinktip said:
The sort answer is yes! There have been numerous studies on the ocular sensitivity of anadromous fish and the evidence I have seen all agrees that the only two colors that fish can't see are black and grey heather. One study even suggested that these two colors may suppress the flight instinct while triggering both the feeding and fighting instict.

:whoa: "Pray tell us, 'Why then are black flies so effective? The fish can't see them and swim into them by accident with an open mouth?" :Eyecrazy:

By a strange coincidence only found on top-notch websites, these two colors are the only colors offered for your official Speypages t-shirts. Order yours today and catch more fish tomorrow. :razz:
Seriously, can I write one check to renew my membership and order a couple of XXL Heather shirts? If so what is the address? I don't like to use paypal with my internet connection.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Dave,

I was being serious :D

I will post your question to Sean and he or I will get back to you soon.

sinktip

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I just got done searching camo waterfowlers wading jackets for winter fishing. Seems the articulated shoulders made for quick draw shooting would work good for us also. Don't know if it will make a difference, but figure it can't hurt, and I need a winter wading jacket also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
I just got done searching camo waterfowlers wading jackets for winter fishing. Seems the articulated shoulders made for quick draw shooting would work good for us also. Don't know if it will make a difference, but figure it can't hurt, and I need a winter wading jacket also.
look into bow hunting jackets also. good ones will fit very snugly in the sides and chest (to not catch bow strings) and should afford good movement too.

for colors to wear..... all my steelheading gear is either black, brown, or olive/green, but mostly olive. does it help? i think it does. as long as i keep a little brush between me and the sky, and i move slowly. i've creeped within 6 or 7 ft. of steelhead (in perhaps 2' of gin clear water) in the summer this way. i don't think color is of such great importance when the water is stained, the fish are deep, and outside of say 40', but you never know so i still play it safe.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The only thing about wearing camo is the hat you gotta wear usually ruins it:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Camo clothing and spey fishing

Jamey McLeod said:
With a one handed rod while trout fishing on this stream and even w/Meisers switch rods, the camo gear was the way to go. Bob made me a 5/6 switch rod for this stream that had no silver eyes and a duller dressing on the rod. I hammered the wise old trout with that rod and camo gear. I wore a camo hat and a camo shirt or green shirt.

With my new 5126, I thought that with the extra distance casting of the spey rod, it didn't really matter.

Looking back on it, we may need camo even more with the longer rods as we aren't wading as deep and sometimes not wading. That makes our profile above water higher and I'm sure the long rods and the casting movement can be easily seen by the fish particuliarly with shirt colors that stands out, rather than blending.

My older son when he used to fish this stream wore his archery camo clothing and hats in the spring, summer and early fall. In the late fall and winter, he wore his duck hunting waterproof jacket and hats. He hammered the fish and is a firm believer in camo and stealth fishing.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at the bright clothing in the pictures of guys fishing the NW

Dornblaser said:
I don't know, I have seen pictures of Cathy Beck and Amy Hazel wearing pink, red, etc. fleece and blouses while catching plenty of fish.

David

P.S. - I would think that a responsible, politically correct fly fishing website would offer pink shirts for the ladies. :tsk_tsk:
When you see most of the pictures of successful spey fisher in the Pacific NW, they look like pea cocks with all of their colored shirts and hats.

In the winter time with high and off color water, the bright shirts probably don't cause a problem. But now with the lower water levels and water sometimes as clear as tap water, we might stand out like flares or colorful clowns to some heavy fished fish.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Particuliarly the hard hat for those who use long tips w/Skagit lines

Bob Pauli said:
Sean,
Please send a hat with each T shirt!
The hard hat will come in handy for those who use really long sinking tips with their Skagit lines and really big flies. :eek:

Maybe, someone will design a camo Kevlar jacket with most of the Kevlar in the back to take the sting out of a really big and heavy intruder hitting the caster in the back on the forward swing. :mad:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good. Remember Wine or Beer speed up dehydration..

Bob Pauli said:
Dave,
I ordered the hat because I listened to your valuable sermons on dehydration!
Bob
Bob, you can attach the water jugs to this Marine Corp Special and not worry about an Intruder doing some skull whacking with a 30' 700 grain Big Boy attached to a 750 Grain Skagit.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Grampa Spey-

Our rivers get very low and gin clear in the winter. With the snow white back ground it seemed like something that broke up the outline of ones body could possibly give a slight edge, Ill try anything (almost). I have been looking at the 4-1 wading jacket made by Drake, comes in a bunch of different camo patterns.

Sean-

I imagine I could get some camo tape to hook up that helmet. I could also wrap my tall boys of PBR with the camo tape to dull the glare. Maybe spray paint? Probably get strange looks when I return them for the deposit. :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Our rivers are gin clear now and will be until the rains come later

Jamey McLeod said:
Grampa Spey-

Our rivers get very low and gin clear in the winter. With the snow white back ground it seemed like something that broke up the outline of ones body could possibly give a slight edge, Ill try anything (almost). I have been looking at the 4-1 wading jacket made by Drake, comes in a bunch of different camo patterns.
My oldest son before he got addicted to Striper fishing, used the same out clothing that he used for Archery Deer season, summer and early fall here in N California.

Then when the weather got cold he used his Camo Duck Hunting Gore Tex Wading Jacket.

His hats/caps were all ways camo. He would never wade unless he had to avoid making sounds and waves. When he did wade, he crouched. His friends and I have seen him crawl to the edge of the stream. The eyes of his rods were blackened by a black laundry pin. His friends and I laughed at him, and he out fished us 3 to 1 to 5 to 1.

My experience this past 2 weeks will change my approach and clothing when the waters are gin clear.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gramps, I gotta ask where do you fish Putah with a two hander? I used to jump across half that creek (upper section) in the winter?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Putah with two handed rods.

andre said:
Gramps, I gotta ask where do you fish Putah with a two hander? I used to jump across half that creek (upper section) in the winter?
Upstream from the Bridge about 150 yards and upstream until it gets too narrow which is about another quarter of a mile upstream.

Fish and Game in their infinite wisdom widened the creek in that area. There are many runs that are 50 to 80' wide water even now with lower rates. Most of this area is basically impossible to cast a one handed rod and some classic spey casts are impossible. The Skagit lines with floating tips and sinking tips enable me to cast out to where the fish are, where most fishers can't touch them.

A few brave/not too smart souls come down that area in a pontoon kick boat or tube float. A little miss judgement can get them in real trouble if they try to get out just before the bridge or right under it.

Bob Meiser made me a custom 10' 6" 5/6wt switch rod which is great for the water where I can't skagit or spey cast.

Inspite of Gray Davis allowing bait hogs to keep and kill their catch, the creek still has some very large trout in it. On my last trip above the bridge, something big grabbed my dry fly and swam about 15' away and down and then proceeded to wrap my leader and apparently the tip of my floating section around something. I had to break off the end loop to get my line back. It never surfaced and may have been one of the very big browns which live in the lake at Winters. The browns come up to feed on rainbows and to spawn. When they are up preying on the rainbows, the rainbow striking activity disappears. That happened that day.

These huge browns are like catching a Pit Bull in cowboy boots. They just go deep and dig their heels in. If you have light tippets they just turn sideways in the flow until the light tippet breaks. When that doesn't work, they find stuff to wrap the leader or line around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts