Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Packets of old Partrige hooks from MacSpey in mail. No idea what's in the two other bags (No kidding) of mail, really are two shopping bags full in the Jeep and don't care.

Driving a car is a 'OK today?' For context if you have Parkinson's Disease (a physical control function) tie a fly can take an hour regardless of how simple. Opening/reading a months worth of mail..... who gives a shxt? Something from the IRS. Like I could care less, when Rev. Al pays ....

I am getting old and crankier. Dog is on top of the bed, we will snuggle-cuddle. Sweet Jesus it's 0125 in the morning, who cares what's going on in the world. Too many nut cases at this point in time.
fae

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Fred those old UK [Redditch] made Partridge hooks were made with good Sheffield steel wire & the quality control was excellant; I wish they were still made there to the same quality.

In my student days we used to scour the local tackle shops looking for the out-bend semi-barbless trebles for pike fishing, they were gold-dust back then & vastly superior to the competition - I still have some lurking in my old coarse fishing gear.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally 'brain time' to sit down and look at the hooks.

Talk about a treasure trove of history. No idea how old these packets of hooks may be but serious age dating going on here. "High carbon Sheffield Steel" .... packets but the topper was the hooks that came in a paper box.

When was the last time anyone saw that?

Now next to packets of Alac Jackson 'Steelhead Irons;' even if tieing is pretty much a thing of the past, beautiful hooks. Promise that tomorrows fishing will be good even if 'best effort' is just to drive to the side of the river.

Dog - I will sit - 'Mz. Turkey' will have her bowl of kibble, I will sip on my coffee. Never made a cast.

fae

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am quite jealous of this post Fred, I just walked away from my bench without even tying as my hook selection is so slim!! If you ever decide to sell a few or want someone to put feathers on them FOR YOU TO FISH just let me know! I'm just out in eagle point, and work for the trash company in your town.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Fred -

I'll bet there's a window of time when Josh and I could get you out in my old Alumaweld, and take you down that old ditch of Rogue River, and get your old rods and old reels in action again. Or just do a wading trip out to Denman?

Maybe next week sometime? A birthday trip!?!?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Come to think of it I've got some unopened mail in my old Jeep as well. I could send the dog to fetch it I guess but he's asleep on the bed and it's raining outside. Too blind to tie as I would wish but can still do a simple one by feel.

Oh well, until they take my license away I can still get to water, if it ever stops raining.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Classic Fred

The Fredster is so old,,, I took him down to the Verizon store to get a replacement for his ten + year old antique cell phone when it finally choked & died. You all know how Fred feels about cell phones right? "they are just phones" :razz: Guy at the phone store says "Mr Evans, you are on the Edge Program, which means you can have a new phone every six months if you want"

While Fred is looking for something with a rotary dial, I find that for the same price as the oldest damn phone they have in the store, Fred can have a new Samsung Galaxy smart phone. Although not the latest version, still a very nice phone.

Now perhaps it would help to back up a little bit as to what got us here in the first place. Like a lot of us these days, Fred had dumped his land line phone in favor of a cell phone many years ago. Recently Fred misplaced his phone & was totally without service for weeks. His voice mailbox was full so no one could leave a message. Finally, in desperation, I went over there. So here we are dialing Fred's number while going through the house trying to track down his phone. Finally found it, in his bathrobe pocket, hanging on his closet door. Plug the thing in for a charge for the first time in weeks. A week later, same damn thing. Only this time it's the charger that is lost & the phone's battery is dead.

After convincing Fred of his need for a more permanent phone, one that is nailed to the wall, we find ourselves at the Verizon store. By days end, Our good buddy Fred now has not only a new Samsung smart phone in addition to a wireless phone running off a Verizon modem with the capability of adding a couple more wireless satellites at a later date.

Update: weeks later. None of Fred's phones will accept voice mail. Fred has no idea who, when, why, or how many times anyone has tried to reach him. And, oh yes, the Fredster has swapped the Samsung for a flip phone. :eek:

Does anyone have one of those old push button phones? The kind Grandmother had back in the days of party lines?

·
Registered
639 Posts
App time

If it doesn't exist yet, someone should come up with a rotary dialing app. Sounds like the perfect tool for Fred, and I'd use it too.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
"I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh"

Sorry - couldn't resist.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Help,,,I've fallen & I can't get up

Fred is dealing with medical issues serious enough to warrant subscribing to Angel Flights, which he has used three times already this year. To not have the ability to summons immediate help (911) is life threatening!

Alas, perhaps Fred's condition has left him incapable of dealing with modern technology. Has anyone noticed, smart phones, don't come with an instruction manual as did dumb phones, which still do. I guess the assumption is, if you have a smart phone, you are smart enough to figure out how to work it. Whereas, if you have a dumb phone,,,well maybe you need an instruction manual. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rotary Dial Ap

Regarding Carl's suggestion in post #10 . . .

I have a rotary dial ap on my iPhone.
Even has the sound of the rotary dial dialing.
When I got the ap I found several that were available.
The one I have is called "Rotary Dialer".

Don't know about Android phones for sure, but I bet they are available.

Kind of weird, I know, and I don't use it very often, but I love look on people's faces when I "dial" someone that way.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Very cool Durango fly.. will be keeping that intel handy in case I ever move out of my Motorola Razr ..lol.. That would be so SWEET to place a call with in the company of my niece.

Still have land line.. still have the same two rotary phones inherited with the house. Had an at&t tech out that was blown away. Said he's never seen one of those. Then proceeded to try and pry the wall mount phone from it's wooden base mounting board. I've found it's usually good to be on hand ;)

Hope your doing o.k. Fred

·
JD
3,612 Posts
A Motorola Razr? I bet the phone people really roll their eyes when you walk in with that. :chuckle: How much trouble is it to make those old rotary phones work in a modern house?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
73 and don't know how to work this stuff.

E mail from my daughter .....DAD??!! Will figure out how to call Version and have them clean all that crap out.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
JD; the rotaries work fine for junk callers to leave a message ..or not.. I really don't care. The Razr serves it's purpose.. an avenue that only the closest of friends and family has access too. When it rings I'm all ears.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I still have every generation of "Mobile Phone" since the Motorola "BRICK", the one with pop up antenna and push button dialing on the hand set' gathering dust in the shed.........Android Smart Phones.....yep, and i'm about ready for a new DUMB PHONE .......I still like the "KISS" principle...:hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have a new, state-of-the-art, all the bells and whistles, mobile phone. Well, it was, 5 years ago, when I bought it. It's a flip phone. The looks of envy it once garnered are now snickers. It does have one feature the new ones don't: I can put it down on a table and go do something...and..it'll still be there when |I get back. Try that with a smartphone...:smokin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts