Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred and Bob,

BTW, thanks for putting this thread over 1900 posts.

My favorite rod is my 9 foot Fenwick HMG Graphite 8 weight which I bought in 1980 or 81 before Fenwick took their manufacturing off shore and the quality went down, IMHO.

Great rod which has punished many a steelhead and king its my proven "True Love" fly rod going on 22 years now. :D

I'm now thinking I may need at least a 6/7 weight light spey rod not sure if Sage makes that rod in that weight, gonna check it out though.

Later

PM Out

P.S. MJYP I made a big mistake a week ago and went to Golfsmith those new Callaway Steelhead 3 woods sure looked nice. :whoa:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hal, Sage does make both a 6 and a 7wt Spey.

The 6 is 12'6" (and a real 6wt rod) the other is their 7136-4. If you do decide to go down the 7wt path contact me off line. I've got two of the rods and would 'part' with the brownie.

For the 6wt you'll see lots of posts of 'for sale by owner'on this particular blank.

And your welcome on the post/reads numbering. Are we setting a FFF Board record yet?
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Whoa! Maybe we can 'dance down memory lane together.'

"Two piece? 8/9 wt.? I built one from a blank and put a mini two hander on it. Beautiful rod. Sold it during a period of idiocy."

Ï fthis is the rod blank I'm thinking of I also had one made for me 'in the good old days' when Angler's Supply built rods (long out of that). Was going to build one for a trip to Alaska and didn't have time to do the butt section. Asked how much? $30 plus parts.

Next question: How much for the guides? $30 bucks plus parts.

Next statement: Do it and send it to me!:D

Major salmon run going on in the Kenai River at that time. Got so tired dragging fish out of the river I actually had to take extended breaks a couple of times a day to rest my arms and shoulders.

fae

By the way: CONGRATS to the HalMeister. Don't remember a thread getting so long Juro, et. al. having to split it. A 'bandwidth' thing?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, fae....

My old favorite was the first glass rod I ever had. Just out of the Marines, going to school under the Korean GI Bill, I "splurged" and picked up one of the new fiberglass rods - first one I had NOT made of bamboo! Loved it! It was much faster (compared to today's wands, slow as a buggy whip!), lighter (but much heavier than today's), and virtually indestructible. (I swear, I could have pried out an engine block with it!) It caught TONS of trout, bass, and northerns without a whimper. We didn't have steelhead here back then - or at least nobody knew about them. Was there a brand name? Well, I think there was the name "Union Hardware" on it. I didn't care about brand - it worked, and well. Teamed up with an HCH line, it really cast well. (Under today's designation, a 6-wt works well on it.)

It has been refinished and rewound a couple of times (by me), but it now has been relegated as a "kid's rod" for my grandchildren to fish with. I can impale a worm on a hook, and a little 3 to 5 year old can swing it over the water without worry of hooking someone on a backcast, or worrying about a complicated reel - and they catch little sunnies. Makes 'em proud as all get-out, and is planting the seeds of the fun of fishin'. Some would say that I'm mistreating a favorite rod.
I personally think I just gave it a job of HONOR, rather than having the kids fish with "junk".

Yeah, there have been and are a lot of other rods along the way, but I still manage to treat it to a little stream trout fishing trip occasionally - just so I can remember its days of glory in the mists of time. Last year, it fished the West Branch of the Delaware, and we both did well.

BobK

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred

Is there a field test demo period for 7 weight Sage spey and how long is it ? Need more information off line.

BTW, if this new Sage lite spey which I think I may be in love is so good why has not any body surfaced here in the last month agreeing with me or all of the other spey fanatics going out and buying one, this is the biggest spey site on the net isn't it ?

Maybe this new lite spey is flawed which I need to find out about BEFORE the MARRIAGE ? (You know when the $$$ flow out, etc..)

PM Out

·
Registered
169 Posts
Light spey rods....

Here on the Lake O. tribs I fish, my little 6-wt. is good for these smaller tribs. But remember - I seldom need to make over 50 foot casts, sometimes 60 tops. So I get away with a short, light (11 ' 3") rod, and the advantage of great mending capability for the techniques that I use. Also remember - despite lots of years trout fishing, I have less than 2 years experience on trib fishing for steelies, browns and salmon, and I am still in the early stages of learning. And I am successful enough to keep me coming back for more. I'm a patient angler, and I am not afraid to try unorthodox approaches if they have a chance of working.

Would I recommend this rod for everyone? Well, no! It works for me, but only for the methods and techniques I use, and the smaller tribs that I fish.

But isn't a 6-weight a little light, and can you land fish quickly for a good release? you ask. Golly gee, I always thought that what the limiting factor for landing and horsing fish was the BREAKING STRENGTH OF THE TIPPET! Now, isn't THAT a novel idea. So I may "put the wood" to a fish, and strain the rod a little, but so what? The company that made it will replace it if it breaks for a few buck shipping cost. And if they hang up, then I may try a different manufacturer.

I don't sweat the details - I just concentrate on the fishing, and the task at hand (catching steelies)! My on-stream methods and casts may not be picture perfect and textbook, but I CAN be when on a casting pond. In my favorite element (fishing), I tend to get a little unorthodox and sloppy in my casting technique to fit the conditions (weather, snags, obstructions, etc.). But I WILL respond favorably to constructive criticism, and bow to an angler of more real experience, regardless of his (or her) age, and listen to them attentively and absorb.

BobK

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What happened to the thread ?

Looks like we maxed out the thread resplys and views site limits on this one. :whoa:

How will I be able to make a decision with out all of the guidance provided my fellow fly fishing colleagues ?

Time to buy another bottle of wine, making any decision is now on hold.

Later

PM Out

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I'm in Love???

I wish I could harness all the energy that's been expended on these threads about Hal and a light spey rod and use it to get this big stack of drywall sitting in my living room up on the ceilings.
I can't figure out why he is even looking around as he already owns a great "light spey" rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
MJC, gotta agree; we've gotta get Hal "laid."

Other than this is how Atty's run up their billing hours at $240 a pop ... I've been lost where this is going for ages. But enjoying every post of "it."

I've got Hal's address and will bundle up a Sage 7136-4 'brownie' and send it to him. If he doesn't like it I'll sue him for defimation of characther, specific performance (has he any?), oh, so many posibilities.

Hell, watch late night tv and lots of "under employeed" Atty's are begging for business. Wonder what the 'limits' are under this liabilty coverage? Special riders for silliness?:smokin:

Small claims court for 'non-performance?' Can you 'get' 5 G's in that State because the "defendant" has a x-small winnie?:whoa:

Juro, get ready for post 200 as we take "Hal to Court."
:p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Close, but.....

Please notice - per his LAST post, he apparently is on the sauce again. I think this whole scheme was just a ruse to support his habit. (Maybe he belongs to "Alcoholics Unanimous"????):devil:

Hey, Peter - you are absolutely right on your overall assessment, and on sink tips vs. light line-rated speys. Since the majority of the streams I fish are fairly narrow and relatively shallow, I use floating lines and either high-stick or indicator methods. Again, they are fairly specialized rods.

If you really enjoy "booming 'em way out there", I would guess that heavier rated rods are much better suited.

Since I would rather catch fish than cast long and pretty, :devil:
the relatively short rod works for me. But it is DEFINITELY not a tool for everyone.

Good cheer!

BobK

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Might look at Scotts - they have a sweet 6 wt - pretty soft and would be tought to throw tips. Their 1287 though handles tips with ease!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh, No!

I couldn't believe it! I just read, in another thread, that he's back! Yeah, Hal's talking about the light spey rod again!

All we need now is Marlene Dietrich, with that husky, accented voice, singing the old '20s song,

"Falling in love again,
Never wanted to,
What am I to do?
I can't help it.

"Love's just the game I play,
Badly though I may,
I was made that way,
I can't help it."

This is getting like a rerun of an old "B" movie. Maybe worse.

He must really want that rod.
Either that, or he needs an excuse to get into the Merlot again!

BobK

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
He must really want that rod.

Bob, at this point I'm betting on the Booze. We just gotta get his guy 'laid' so we can shut him up.
:hehe:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Holy Sh..! Unlike some, I hadn't been paying

a bit of attention. At least my 'over the top' posts dealt with some thing of substance. Now, as for Hal ......?

:smokin:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations to Fred

Fred

Congrats on the 2,000th post I am sure this thread got you there a little faster. I am sure it had something to do with this thread, although I have not looked. (I will though)

BTW, I just printed this entire thread out on my work lazer printer looks like I have of 46 pages of documened "evidentiary matter" here for my records. Thats legalese for evidence, very good evidence I might add, even has members user names, dates, and times, etc..

Yes I am sitting legally in "fat city" so to say on this thread.

Have not made up my mind yet on the lite spey but am looking forward to each weekend bottle of merlot now to dull the emotional pain of thinking and longing for it.

Later, now back to corporate world

PM Out

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, John....

Nooooo....he will never cast it. He is afraid that he might like it, and be tempted to BUY it (heaven forbid!) That would put a crimp on his wine binge.

I am retired and on a "fixed" income (at least that is my excuse to the telemarket folks - works every time, and they even apologize!) But I think that Hal is even more frugal than I!

(Note - "Frugal" is a synonym for "cheap".)

Besides, his spouse is his accountant, and rides herd on him pretty well, keeping him on the straight and narrow! (We used to describe that in the vernacular of the day as P.W., for short!)

If he spent the money on the rod, rather than the cheap muscatel he drinks, (he calls it "merlot", Ha Ha.) he could have bought the rod a couple of times over, at a minimum. It's just an excuse for the bad habit.:devil:

BobK

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be sending the print out of this thread to my Hollywood contacts which I have a couple of. Plus I kept a copy for my legal files.

Perhaps it could be a candidate for the first reality TV fly fishing show or something like that. Lets face it, Joe Millionaire has not been cancelled yet there could be a market for something like this.

Later

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
You know, I've been wondering about that.

mjyp said:
Wayyy too much idle time.
With all these posts, on all the different topics, at all times of the day or night, on all ... etc., and etc., A question does cross my mind.

Does Hal actually have a day job?? Is there really a "HAL." Or are these posts all randomly generated by a computer. What was the name of the computer in that old SiFi movie?:whoa:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
MJ, you might be a tad hasty. Considering the

mjyp said:
It's name was HAL-9000, since it was 2001 the system failed due to the Y2K bug. Way before man realized it could have happened.

The name HAL is an amalgam of "heuristic" and "algorithmic," the two main processes of learning.

Since neither one of the above applies to his quandry, his being the afore mentioned computer run amuck is in question.
way our "HAL" is running up posts, he's already a 3,000 series.
:devil:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts