Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but this time its for real (again) !!

Saw the new Sage light spey rod 5 weight, 12 foot at yesterdays midwest fly fishing show with Smolt. its the 5120-4 - Ultralight spey.

God I love that rod, has anybody seen it or have one yet ?

What others are on the market as in 5 or 6 weights ?

Light steelhead and big river trout spey rod, I can even see it for michigan hex hatch fishing. Also for river smallmouth fishing and probably carp fly fishing.

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Would someone!!! dump a bucket of cold water over Hals head? Please!!

Hal, Deeeeep Breeeeeath, another one, ...... one more ...... good..... steady .... one more breath .... good.

Now go buy the rod! I'll explain to Coll it was ' A Guy Thing.' If that falls on deaf ears, I'll fake a e mail from Joan.

:devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I will get over it, I hate going to those fly shows !

There is always something else you see that is expensive and you want.

:mad:

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Small bit of advise: An old friend whose long gone once/several times

told me a bit of real advise; "For 5% more you can go first class."

pmflyfisher said:
Maybe I will get over it, I hate going to those fly shows !

There is always something else you see that is expensive and you want.

:mad:

PM Out
And he was right. (Mind went blank for a few moments: Bill Milwitz was his name) Buy a rod you think is 'second best' and you'll always know it; and you'll end up buying the rod you reeeealllly wanted. So now you've got two; one you want and one you don't.

So how much extra did you dump?:tsk_tsk:

All kidding aside: get what you want the first time, you'll (with few exceptions) be right in your choice.
fae

Inland: where are we at?

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO TRY ONE

This is one rod that I am waiting to get my hands on.
Have always like lite speys and this one has the making of great one.

Fish the Scott Arc 11'9' for 6 weight for hopper and stonefly work would love a lighter one for smaller flies and larger fish.

Maybe Fred would have one I could try at the Sandy.:
Speybum
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There better be lite spey rods at the next GL spey clave for me to test further as I do not think any stores in Chicago have these rods. If there is let me know.

If Sage or any other spey rod maker is looking for a GLs lite spey field tester I am officially throwing my name into the hat.

Email me at [email protected].

I am gong to get one it is just a matter of which one but I know which one is the leading candidate now.

I need a first date with this rod meaning (pilot casting session) before a major blind investment decision is made.

PM Out

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Maybe Fred would have one I could try at the Sandy.:

Actually, not a bad thought. Why don't you pass this one along to Mark B? He's got several distributors lined up and if there are specific rods folks would like the opportunity to try .... where better?

And I'm sure Mark would be happy as a clam to accept your credit card/check.:devil: Actually, not a bad deal as Oregon doesn't have a sales tax so you save a chunk there, and if memory serves, Mark always pays for the shipping. Both ways you've saved a wad of $$.
fae

UPDATE:
Got no where trying to cut/paste/send this to Mark so gave his shop a call. Appears they already have several of these shorter/light line rods in stock. Anyhooo, asked they add to this post on what's available, cost, etc. As Mark is a Board Sponc. this seemed reasonable.
fae

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at the T+T display did not see it, if I did, I did not fall in love with it.

Fred, send me a PM on how you get all these rods approved by the boss. I need some lessons for sure. :chuckle:

PM Out

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
FRED

Fred you silver tounged
:devil:
I knew you would come throgh for us.
Thanks the Sandy Sounds better everyday.

Speybum:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Actually it was very easy; it was writing the 'check that hurt.'

pmflyfisher said:
I was at the T+T display did not see it, if I did, I did not fall in love with it.

Fred, send me a PM on how you get all these rods approved by the boss. I need some lessons for sure. :chuckle:

PM Out
Joan got her home in Ashland, and I wrote a check for about $213,000 for the down payment. By comparison, the rod will be 'dirt cheap.'
:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just dropped a grand on the two dogs, and she is now happy, maybe it is the time soon to sneak the light spey in ?

Will have to see how her big real estate deals go.

Got to go cast that Sage light spey soon.

PM Out

·
Registered
8 Posts
A buddy of mine up here just bought the
Sage 12' 6wt. Says he's going to swing streamers and stoneflies for trout this summer.

He's a cool guy and would probally let you swing it around if you ever get up this way.

Neil

·
Registered
886 Posts
pmflyfisher said:
I just dropped a grand on the two dogs, and she is now happy, maybe it is the time soon to sneak the light spey in ?

B]

I thought that was self replicating flytying material.

Malcolm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Malcolm,

There are some great opportunities for siberian husky red body and tail fur and hair. You will see when I post the first husky steelhead hair wing.

Then we will see who is laughing when you are all coming to me for this exotic hair unavailable in any fly tying store or world wide web site.

You will see, you will see..... :razz: :razz:

PM Out

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ok then

When is the first Siberian husky fly swap, hair supplied by flymeister?

Malcolm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TBD, but I suppose when they shed their winter coat this spring.

Will keep you advised.

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am very methodical in my purchases.

Need a 1st date with her before I commit further, which means casting it and perhaps opinions of others on the board that have.

But when your in love, others opinions are normally to no avail in stopping one from pursuing.

If you know what I mean.

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did not cast it, Smolt (Charles) was telling me one atlantic salmon and striper fishing stories continuously through out the day, could not focus clearly. :chuckle:

Thats OK next time he will have to listen to all of my stories.:devil:

PM Out

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sage

A guy up here just ordered one for himself. If it ever warms up I plan on taking this little baby for a test drive! Cant wait to see what she will do. Right now I am thinking that this will also make a great smallie rod here in the GL on some of the larger creeks/rivers when I am not chasing browns or chrome! I just hope that we can find a line to work well on this rod!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts