Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Cool - you should tell us a little about your trip ... Mongolia is not a place many us get to!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kush,
just ask,what are you interested in...
this was my first trip, but definitely not my last. I really like when I have to "work" for the fish, and the reward is not my everyday catch. Wild, and pristine wilderness, and rivers, and there is a BIG space around you, you can fish all day long without seeing another fisherman. I learned a lot on this first trip, the next will be more fun, I am sure.
There are many great rivers and streams in Europe, but somehow the nature itself is more delicate - not so pristine, and magnificient, like I experienced in M. For you, American fishermen, It is more common, I guess, because the wilderness is just bigger. Like I wrote the weather was not typical for this time of the year, so mostly cold and rainy. So the fishing was not easy.

I brought my T&TDH 1107 for streamer&hopper-fishing for lenok-trout, a T&T Horizon 5 wt and Helix for dry flies&nymphs- lenok&grayling, a 9wt RPL+,an XTR 8wt, and my beloved T&T DH1212 for taimen and amur-pike.

But I am sure, the rivers are great for DH fishing...

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Is that second pic a Taimen? Theres nothing like those old RPL tapers man. I just listed the majority of my remaining one handers for sale, keeping my RPL's though.

Nice pics for sure!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that IS a taimen...
that fish was my biggest on a trip, it was around 90cms-36inches, and a powerful fighter. We should catch much bigger fish (in the 10-20 kg range), but the great Onon was unfishable...
If you check my other pics-"M/2" there is another taimen, and you can see what local fishermen use to catch these fishes...sometimes they just throw a dead squirrel or marmot on a big hook :whoa:
I was really surprised, because of the great number of amur-pikes in the river. There were specimens around a meter-long. I caught fishes in the 60-70 cm range, and they were bitten by another fish!
The taimens mostly were active around dusk, and night - and dawn, I guess...I just rather was sleeping that time :roll: .

And those Rpl's, yes. My "I will never sell"-rod is my RPL+ 5wt.Those rods have "meat", and a great action, for sure.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
skeg said:
And those Rpl's, yes. My "I will never sell"-rod is my RPL+ 5wt.Those rods have "meat", and a great action, for sure.

My 9ft6in 8wt RPL+ is my "go to" stick for shooting heads on the piers here in MI. Also have the 11ft3in RPL 6wt, only seen 2 others in my life, best one hander great lakes steelhead rod there is. The last two one handers I can't seem to let go. I also have the DH1107, I remember you asking about it a while back, what line did you end up going with?

Very cool pics and story to go with. Kush is right, most of us would never dream of fishing inner mongolia for Taimen

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure! Angling adventures are the spice of life.

But I have to admit I hate to see those fish so far out of the water on the grass and any salmonid held with a boga grip just makes me cringe, with all due respect.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Juro,

I agree. I would never made a pic. like that, just I was totally alone, without my buddies, to take a proper - "kneeing in tha water&releasing fish" - shot. :(
I have released all of the taimens, just kept a few lenoks and pikes to spice up the mongolian sausage-menu in our camp...
I have to say, that I kept the shooting time very short - less than a minute.
That's it man.

Anyway, in that wilderness I experienced every second in it's 100 percent fullness....if you know what I mean. Just me, the river- and the fish.(and all the other creatures around me...mostly mosquitos :) )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jamey,

the line what I am using with the 1107 is an SA Spey-short head 7/8.
For normal distances and spey/switch casts, it is extremely comfortable to fish with.
For a bit more reach, and OH- casts, maybe something in the 6/7 - range would fit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts