Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Anybody using the iFlight heads? How do they cast compared to floating skagits?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've started using them over the floating skagit. I just drop one line size (ie 480gr to 450gr) from what is recommended/I like for a floating skagit. I notice no difference in their casting other than they are a couple of feet shorter but much prefer the way they fish in colder/deeper/heavier water. I can get the same depth with 10' Type 6 or Type 8 leaders as with the level T-11 on a floater and find them nicer to cast but the caveat is that it works for the water I am fishing. Some water may fish better with the floating line and the heavier sink tip.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one. Just make sure if you use MOW tips that are not full sinkers (have non-sinking section) that you use the iMOWs instead as the regular MOWs have a floating section that defeats the purpose of the sinking shooting head.... unless you want that for some reason. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 450gr iFlight paired with 12' of straight T-11 on a 11'6" #8 switch has been a pleasure swinging.

They are almost identical heads except for the clear of one has sinking attributes and one doesn't. Casting is about the same, it's about what happens once it hits the water where change comes in. Personally prefer the iFlights/full sink skagits over floating any day.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Ok, apoligies if this is a ridiculous question but has anyone compared the iflight to the solar by nextcast? are they similar at all? The idea of these lines really appeals to me as well...but i haven't tried either..

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Love them. Sinks under the surface and gives you a great, slow swing.
Really feel connected to your fly swinging, feel every bump, fish or rock.
J

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been fishing a 575 grain i flight coupled with a 5/5 iMow medium tip via my Winston B3 TH 8136 quite a bit this fall, after the water temperatures dropped into the low 40's to mid 30's.

The 575 grain head is what Rio recommends for this Winston, and at first I thought it was too heavy. But after casting it for a couple days, I got used to it. Now, I love fishing this combination in cold water conditions mainly because it swings noticeably slower, than a floating head/sinktip combo. I caught many steelhead with this set up this fall, and based on that experience, I'd recommend you try one!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Airflo

I have the Airflo intermediate Skagit, also stepped down a size. I like the way it swings but if you get into slower water, or water with occasional large rocks, it hangs up a lot more, so it doesn't work in all the water I fish in the winter.

Wayne

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Ok, apoligies if this is a ridiculous question but has anyone compared the iflight to the solar by nextcast? are they similar at all?
NextCast SalarFinder are a little longer and consequently not as beefy. They can be had with intermediate and sinking back section. The obvious tradeoffs apply. SF is better if you want more distance easier (in particular fishing small-medium runs without shooting line), iFlight or the Airflo equivalent is a little easier to manipulate, especially in tight quarters and/or if you have soft water near the bank, and better with big flies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts