Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may also learn too?

Today was a life lesson; hadn't had mine checked before Winter.

STUPID MISTAKE! Smelled what seemed like 'exhaust' so called Avista to see it they would/could send someone out the check the system.

Half way through the conversation I collapsed; she called 911. Rolled out on a Gurnie, 12+ hours in the ER as they were pumping straight Oxy into my nose and what ever else. I suspect the furnace repair/replacement may cost a 'pretty penny,' but the alternative ... doesn't sit well in my scheme of things.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to call back and finish the conversation. Firemen/EMT's left my 'Nighthawk' gas sniffer on the table: DEFECTIVE, REPLACE UNIT!" (How long ago?)

You can bet your 'Sweet A$$' I'm going to do that tomorrow.' Save for the front door, all open as are the windows. Can still 'smell that smell.' :saevilw:

Hell of a day.:(

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Geez Fred. I'm glad you're okay.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your utility room?

Preston

·
Registered
860 Posts
It is a sign, Fred. It is time for you to take the pooch and go fishing!

Thinking of that, was the dog affected by the CO problem?

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
What's that smell?

While I wholeheartedly agree with Fred that we should have our furnaces inspected regularly - that is not the only lesson to be learned here. If you smell "something funny" in your house - LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. If its a gas leak, the whole place could explode. If its exhaust gas, you could die before you dial 911. GET OUT - then call. Fred, I too an thankful you survived - and I agree with another poster - you are lucky - its time to head to the river - then the bar - you might get lucky.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really wobbly drive to the local hardware store this morning.

Geez Fred. I'm glad you're okay.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your utility room?

Preston
I was probably 'illegal,' seriously illegal, to be behind a steering wheel for the short drive (a mile to 'Big R'); purchased two, installed this morning.
Good one's are NOT CHEAP! I was so wobbly the fellow had to open the packages and insert the back up batteries. Getting the wall socket things plugged in took some serious concentration.

Now one in both bathrooms; speaking of which :lildevl: I need to take a bath, but stone cold water holds no fascination. If you've ever fallen in a river, you understand.

Furnace inspection/repair man is scheduled for sometime this afternoon.

Back to point: "Folks DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT fool around, 'We're OK':smokin: when it comes to Carbon Monoxide ... No smell, you don't know you have a 'problem,' A working plug in tester will cost you about Forty Bucks! Two better yet, one at each end of the house? (Here now!)

LOOK AT THE DAMNED THING EVERY DAY! Takes you all of four or five seconds. "EMT's/Firemen" are very nice well train people, with luck, you'll never meet one professionally.:eek:

fae

·
Banned
879 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok, close call. Might want to play the lotto this week.
Keep us posted as to why the heating system failed. Back draft, combustion air, ducting, ??? Two failures, the sensor and the system. Not good.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1329 and repair man is here.

Glad to hear you're ok, close call. Might want to play the lotto this week.
Keep us posted as to why the heating system failed. Back draft, combustion air, ducting, ??? Two failures, the sensor and the system. Not good.
The wired in 'sensor's' are just for smoke/fire, the other one was for 'everything else' but no longer worked. Odds of you having the 'wireds' go 'beep-beep' are slim; other shxt if it's not working properly! Whooa Boy Scout! Normal fire alarms react to smoke/fire but not Carbon Mo .... There you purchase/install your own plug in units.

Repeating myself: Buy them, plug them in, LOOK AT THE DAMNED THINGS ON A REGULAR BASIS!

Furnace Repair man: 'I think the thing is shot.' (A surprise there?:()

'How much to replace?' Not as bad as I'd have thought: 'How soon? House is like a frucking freezer in side.'

'OK how much will a new one cost so I can have the 'gas' turned on and get hot water back? I really need a bath, a long hot shower!!. Guy laughed. "Tomorrow it could be stuffed there in the rafters, gas and hot water heater turned back on.' Wasn't any where near pricie as I expected.:eek:

GOOD!! :D:D:D:D:D

"DO IT!!"

Hell of a way to spend the last 48-72 hours.:( I could well do without any of the above. Ever notice the word 'home' was a 'four letter word?'

fae

·
Registered
95 Posts
Co

FRED,
Sorry to hear your sad news.CO detectors are cheap and i don't leave a job with out checking installed units.If not working i install a new one the alternative is not pleasant.Hope you are on the river soon.
peter

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 'jaw dropped!'

Fellow was here for hours, there wasn't a thing he didn't check out from top to bottom-inside out .... couldn't find a problem!

He charged me for 15 minutes work! :eek: I was prepared to pay several hundred dollars for 'what-ever, including a new furnace; that really set me back on my heels.:eek:

I think I'm going to open that bottle of single malt and take a huge swig.:smokin:

"Every thing I could find was working as 'should be,' but call 'Avista/the gas provider' and have them do a meter check." You can take a money bet on that one!

fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Firemen got 'Mz. Turney' out of the house.

Fred,
Is your dog ok?
She's still 'wobbly' for a lack of a better term. Let her out on the street this morning and racing up/down. Tomorrow I will put rods on the Jeep and see how she does fishing.

Side bar: Interesting how you have to check your spelling. Word looks right, then you look again ... not even close. For context here three 'not even close.' I'm not better yet?

Time to go back to bed, get some sleep. this past few days has 'ripped me a new ... nevr mind.

fae

1 - 14 of 14 Posts