Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to pick one fly(different sizes would be fine) to keep in your tackle box, what would it be... probably a rolled muddler for me, a few different sizes and I'd be happy.. but.. then again.... I like colour... maybe some GPs in different colours... .. .or... hmm.. no... forget that...

Doug

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
John Doe,just brown yarn and any brn. hair,feathers,derived from a chewed up brown drake steelhead fly,just kept trimming the parts and pieces off between fish,when i looked at the fly the next day i realized this FLY could be anything,plus i really didn't need to work as hard to tie to a standard,not pretty though,but it's my go to bug when breaking someone to a flyrod:chuckle:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I try not to dwell to much on fly selection, in the winter I usually fish the " green dragon" or one of Jack Cooks prawn creations. Summer and its the summer duck spey all the way to fall. But there is a fly that seems to work for me when it gets tough, and always I have at least a dozen at all times. The black G.P just plane works! and now I am a believer after my last Thompson trip. I think it has a lot to do with its profile in the water, long and sleak and very visible.

Brian

·
Registered
545 Posts
Green Butt Skunk. Any shape or style as long as it is a GBS. I have caught plenty of fish on a lot of different patterns but I am pretty sure that what those fish really wanted to eat was a Green Butt.

Greg

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
GP, interesting you should bring up this fly.

One of my all time fav's. on SW Washington rivers. Moved to So. Oregon and have yet to hook a fish on this pattern on the Rogue.

Go figure?
fae

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
fred that's funny because i fished the gbs plenty when i started flying and had no success,recently been tying them as a psuedo spey ,hackle only no hairwing or tail and also a crystal splash root beer body,this color is buggy,,,won't be without a handful now,funny how a pattern can suddenly move to the front of the pack ,,er box:D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Gartside Sparrow

For often clear Western Michigan streams, this small Spider style tie works as a nymph tied in smaller sizes. Tied bigger, longer, or with different body materials, it's a streamer. BTW, an excellent variation is a spinoff of John Kluesing's Blueberg--tie a sparrow with bright blue flashabou for the body and you've got a nice parr pattern.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Winter, Orange Heron. I'd sure miss the Ally's Shrimp and Cop's Lights Spey though.

Summer, Night Dancer Shrimp. I'd sure miss the low-water feather wings I use though and there is nothing like getting a fish on a waking fly.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Even though I am totally "hooked" on Ed Ward's Intruders, when push comes to shove I find my black/purple GP thing on (I now call it the Voodoo Child) on the end of my line. I tie it from a giant first light monster 6-7" long to a sweet litttle low-water version that might be 1 1/2" long.

If you want to see it you can do a search for Tyler's Tubes on the Steelhead Fly Board.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Boobies are great for the splashy surface rise - but if you want real thrills you have to go deep! :smokin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm a minimalist when it comes to flies, so I'd have to say the Doc Spratley. I caught my first winter fish on it on the Vedder in 1976. Since then I have caught numerous winter and summer fish in the Thompson, Stilly and Skagit--not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of trout that it has taken in the last thirty years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.