Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to pick one fly(different sizes would be fine) to keep in your tackle box, what would it be... probably a rolled muddler for me, a few different sizes and I'd be happy.. but.. then again.... I like colour... maybe some GPs in different colours... .. .or... hmm.. no... forget that...

Doug

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
Hmmmm................Lady caroline with speckled bustard wing.........orange heron.....................or one of my 10 inch long intruder styl flies...................help me I'm going insane,pass me a cuban!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
John Doe,just brown yarn and any brn. hair,feathers,derived from a chewed up brown drake steelhead fly,just kept trimming the parts and pieces off between fish,when i looked at the fly the next day i realized this FLY could be anything,plus i really didn't need to work as hard to tie to a standard,not pretty though,but it's my go to bug when breaking someone to a flyrod:chuckle:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I try not to dwell to much on fly selection, in the winter I usually fish the " green dragon" or one of Jack Cooks prawn creations. Summer and its the summer duck spey all the way to fall. But there is a fly that seems to work for me when it gets tough, and always I have at least a dozen at all times. The black G.P just plane works! and now I am a believer after my last Thompson trip. I think it has a lot to do with its profile in the water, long and sleak and very visible.

Brian

·
Registered
545 Posts
Green Butt Skunk. Any shape or style as long as it is a GBS. I have caught plenty of fish on a lot of different patterns but I am pretty sure that what those fish really wanted to eat was a Green Butt.

Greg

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
GP, interesting you should bring up this fly.

One of my all time fav's. on SW Washington rivers. Moved to So. Oregon and have yet to hook a fish on this pattern on the Rogue.

Go figure?
fae

·
Registered
54 Posts
Although not really on the subject of this thread.. I think the US Army survival kits have one fly and it's the Royal Coachman. I wonder how that was arrived at?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Black/purple marabou or rabbit strip leech on just about any steelhead river. On the Klamath, hands down, a copper bead head moss back (# 8 or 6)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
fred that's funny because i fished the gbs plenty when i started flying and had no success,recently been tying them as a psuedo spey ,hackle only no hairwing or tail and also a crystal splash root beer body,this color is buggy,,,won't be without a handful now,funny how a pattern can suddenly move to the front of the pack ,,er box:D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gartside Sparrow

For often clear Western Michigan streams, this small Spider style tie works as a nymph tied in smaller sizes. Tied bigger, longer, or with different body materials, it's a streamer. BTW, an excellent variation is a spinoff of John Kluesing's Blueberg--tie a sparrow with bright blue flashabou for the body and you've got a nice parr pattern.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Winter, Orange Heron. I'd sure miss the Ally's Shrimp and Cop's Lights Spey though.

Summer, Night Dancer Shrimp. I'd sure miss the low-water feather wings I use though and there is nothing like getting a fish on a waking fly.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Tyler's Black GP Tube Fly Thingy

with the laser beam peccary strips. They really work but I'm too lazy to tie 'em, and Tyler is too lazy to tie a bunch of extras for me, so I guess it is a Thompson Stone.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Even though I am totally "hooked" on Ed Ward's Intruders, when push comes to shove I find my black/purple GP thing on (I now call it the Voodoo Child) on the end of my line. I tie it from a giant first light monster 6-7" long to a sweet litttle low-water version that might be 1 1/2" long.

If you want to see it you can do a search for Tyler's Tubes on the Steelhead Fly Board.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Boobies are great for the splashy surface rise - but if you want real thrills you have to go deep! :smokin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm a minimalist when it comes to flies, so I'd have to say the Doc Spratley. I caught my first winter fish on it on the Vedder in 1976. Since then I have caught numerous winter and summer fish in the Thompson, Stilly and Skagit--not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of trout that it has taken in the last thirty years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts