Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on a new reel (hypothetically for a 7wt spey rod), what would you get?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Loop Xact Composite reel ~$70 from Leland Outfitters and use the to fishing trip or SA UST shooting heads.

If you prefer aluminium reel then Danielsson.

Esa

·
Administrator
18,352 Posts
If you like gear and pawl reels and want to go "old school", jump on that 1535 JW Young reel in the classifieds.
It is more than adequate for any steelhead ... heck, it was built for salmon fishing :smokin:
Leftover cash can fund a line or two, or more tips, or gas for the truck, or dinner with your significant other who will give you a fishing pass to try out your new reel :hihi::hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loop Xact Composite reel ~$70 from Leland Outfitters and use the to fishing trip or SA UST shooting heads.

If you prefer aluminium reel then Danielsson.

Esa
My local shop has the Q, bit more $$$ but seems solid. I have never used a true large arbour before, the thing seems massive haha.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you like gear and pawl reels and want to go "old school", jump on that 1535 JW Young reel in the classifieds.
It is more than adequate for any steelhead ... heck, it was built for salmon fishing :smokin:
Leftover cash can fund a line or two, or more tips, or gas for the truck, or dinner with your significant other who will give you a fishing pass to try out your new reel :hihi::hihi:

Mike
Oh I thought those had both sold for some reason. I'll take a look thanks!

·
Administrator
18,352 Posts
Oh I thought those had both sold for some reason. I'll take a look thanks!
Maybe ... ??
The seller has not updated the ad.

There are plenty on ebay if that falls through or .... place a want to buy ad in our Classifieds.

If you are planning a #7 two-hander between 11ft and 13ft, then a 1535 version would be about perfect.
If you are planning a #7 two-hander that is a little longer, like a 14ft, then up size to a 1540.
This series of reel can be found in the JW Young and the Shakespeare brand. Both are identical. Some reels are green, others are a gray.
My favorite of all this style reel is the Diawa 812 and 813. I think they look a bit more bad ass and like the overall profile better.
These reels are built like tanks and will out last you ... can't say the same for some modern day reels :hihi:

One word of caution, these reel feet may not fit on every rod. Some N.American rod manufacturers have adopted shorter thinner reel seats. You may have a hard time fitting these reels on your rod. However, simply taking a file to the feet of these reels will fix that. Some gear owners prefer to have a shop remake a foot for the reel or even replace the rods reel seat. The choice is yours if it doesn't fit. I've taken a file to the odd reel foot in the past, being the most economical solution.

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,682 Posts
I'm with Mike on the Young's. I have a couple of 1540's, a beaulite with three spools and a few others. For $300 you could get several and switch out lines if you wanted. These things are as close as you can get to indestructible. They were sold under several brand names, their own J.W. Young, Shakespeare, Sage, Diawa and I think a couple others. There were some cosmetic differences between brands but under the hood they were the same. Have a look if you want to consider old school clickers. Certain Young models will fit on modern seats but I don't have a complete list. I would need to double check my stock.

Dan

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,682 Posts
Aside from old school style I wanted to add a more modern suggestion, Ross's CLA series. They do not make these anymore but I have a few and they work as if they were just removed from the box. One CLA 5 was even used in the salt for a few days but there are no signs of it. I think If you can get a CLA 5 it would be perfect for a 7wt TH and likely about $100-150.

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take a look at the Galvan rush 8. They are a a couple bucks over but most places will give you a new line with it so it evens out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the Battenkill IV and V. Cheap, loud, and good enough.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
• Disc Drag for $300.....Danielsson. They are better than most $900 reels out there today. Never seen a bad review or heard of a failure. Probably the best disc on the market especially for their price.

•Click Pawl, well it’s no secret I’m partial to SpeyCo!! Not sure if he makes one in the $300 range though. Probably $400

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Korean Hardy Marquis Salmon 2
This, or better yet, get a vintage one, most likely from the uk, on eBay. The Young’s and their clones are more like the answer to the question: “what reel to buy for around $100”. A completely different level of quality IMHO. If that question sounds ok to you then go for it. No reason why the price needs to expand to fit the category. But to me they sound like nails rattling in an old coffee can by comparison to the Hardy ones.

For a more modern style then no question right now - order a Danielsson off their web site. If they still have their active promotions to NA then by far the best value per your dollar. Insanely good deals.

·
Mindless Wanderer
106 Posts
I would opt for the Lamson Guru #4 HD Series II. Better yet, put up another Benjamin and get the Speedster!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
For a more modern style then no question right now - order a Danielsson off their web site. If they still have their active promotions to NA then by far the best value per your dollar. Insanely good deals.
Perhaps the promotion comes from the tax which we in EU pay but when sent to USA it gets deducted and it usually is more than the postage. Obviously your covernment does not add tax to your imported goods and then Danielsson reels are cheaper for you than for me but perhaps one spool ships cheaper to me?

Esa

1 - 20 of 30 Posts