Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
I have rarely in the past (eternal regret):tsk_tsk: nor will I ever again buy Atlantic Salmon of any kind farmed or wild caught. Boycott!! RIOT!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any updates from the meeting that took place last week? Not my fishery, but what can we do to help? We need to be helping each other when issues arise. Together, we can be a strong lobby.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any updates from the meeting that took place last week? Not my fishery, but what can we do to help? We need to be helping each other when issues arise. Together, we can be a strong lobby.
One thing you can do - as a visiting angler - is (in case you do ever decide to chase Atlantics) choose a lodge that pledges live release. Part of the problem with the negotiations with Greenland is that it's pretty hard to present a convincing argument when your own people at home are still killing fish. Granted, finally this year we have taken steps in that direction (with NB and NS going live release only) but that's in large part due to the abysmal season we had in 2014, not really for leverage in negotiations w/ Greenland.

As a Maritimer, I can tell you that one of the saddest parts of my visit home to see my parents in NB this past month was meeting a few friends who all said there was no point in fishing this season because "You're not allowed to keep any". With that kind of attitude, these fish don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Please...

I find it highly despicable that the ASF is engaged in this lousy politics. They are simply diverting the attention away from the fact that Canada is also engaged in commercial fishing as well as being extravagant east coast fish farming.

Placing Greenland as main culprit in this is not right. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Canada has itself done a lot of harm to Atlantic Salmon and instead of pushing for a total ban on marine harvesting as well as open-pen fish farming, it seeks to affix the blame elsewhere.

I can fully understand the Greenland fisherman returning to commercial fishing after they were asked by all others to cease doing so, only for countries like Canada, Scotland, Ireland to turn around and continue drift-net fishing and trawling.

This below the belt tactic from ASF is despicable, and should not go uncriticised. They should strive to be a part of the solution.

Fix the problem, not the blame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I beg to differ that Canada has a commercial Atlantic salmon fishery. There is a pacific salmon fishery and a native fishery but there is no commercial wild Atlantic salmon fishery. I agree that the salmon farming is part of the problem, the government won't do anything about it. But at least with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick going catch and release its a start, I just wish Quebec and Newfoundland would follow suit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The perspective that needs to be shown is that this is not something that just happened. If you look back far enough the picture becomes clearer and a steady downward trend can be seen. C&R is by most standards a fairly new practice which will only yield further down the line. It is a component in a larger puzzle, and thus more things most come to play as well.

Canada's involvement in NASCO has not always been exemplary, and neither has anyone's for that matter.

What needs to be taken into consideration is that Greenland has always fished commercially for Salmon. In years past, way more than they are doing now. This is something that is well within their rights in their waters. Unless of course you want to invade them and give them some "freedom", the dialogue needs to be taken up a notch, and solutions that take into consideration their livelyhood, their arguments and their concerns.

It's easy for us spoilt, rich white men with expensive rods and reels to be all conservationist in our expensive waders and fully catered lodges and deliver judgement upon people who are simply trying to survive.

With dialogue like that, I find the ASF somwhat hypocritical steering the discussion towards whose to blame.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Labrador Net Fishery / Native Ceremonial Fishery

All good points to consider, but let's remember that Greenland has zero Atlantic Salmon spawning rivers...they are killing our fish!

But before we can chastise the Danes and Greenlanders, we need to clean our own house.

There is a net-kill food fishery in coastal Labrador that very few anglers are aware of; it started as a Metis Rights claim (for those unaware, Metis are the term for the offspring of French Colonists and the Indigenous Population in Canada). They were awarded an allowance of 7 fish per person. The other settlers of Labrador raised an uproar, and got an allowance of 4 fish per person. The main problem is that the nets are indiscriminate, and likely take many times more than the allowable catch. Likewise, thousands of kilos of salmon are caught and killed in the herring and capelin fishery each year as bycatch, and tossed back into the sea.

If there is one thing we can count on, it's the inability of our Federal Department to have the backbone to challenge the Metis and Labradorians rights in Court of Law. Our Government has lost too many Supreme Court decisions regarding Treaty rights, and their will to fight seems to have dried up.

Bottom line in my opinion is that we may be seeing the end of Atlantic Salmon. It kills me to think of that day...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hate to agree with Chris, but you maybe right on the fact about seeing the end of the Atlantic Salmon. For various reasons, the situation is quite dire in many countries, such as Norway, Scotland & Ireland. Not to mention Spain & France, where it is all but extinct.

The NASF has taken a more sensible approach in meeting the local populace in different countries, by raising funds to offset their loss of income.

You raised a good philosophical point: Why is it "your fish" ? Is it because they are spawn in Canadian rivers ? To that extent, should you not be compensating the Greenlanders for raising them in their waters? Why is it not their fish if they grow up around Greenland ?

Take that to the philosophy department of any University, and you'll probably have them occupied for years on end...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmm...

I can be as pessimistic as the next guy, but seeing the end of the species right before our eyes?

Yes last year was terrible pretty much throughout the N. Atlantic. 2013 wasn't great. 2010/11 weren't so terrible and the peak was the best in almost living memory.

This year as a whole, so far, is much improved over last years disaster. Better is better.

Yes the Dee is having a disaster of a season. LCWD included. If one has their marbles in this basket it would look quite empty. Yet the Spey is doing much better. Tay is having a decent start. Northern Scottish rivers have had an exceptional season so far. As have many rivers that were on their knees on the west coast.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hate to agree with Chris, but you maybe right on the fact about seeing the end of the Atlantic Salmon. For various reasons, the situation is quite dire in many countries, such as Norway, Scotland & Ireland. Not to mention Spain & France, where it is all but extinct.

The NASF has taken a more sensible approach in meeting the local populace in different countries, by raising funds to offset their loss of income.

You raised a good philosophical point: Why is it "your fish" ? Is it because they are spawn in Canadian rivers ? To that extent, should you not be compensating the Greenlanders for raising them in their waters? Why is it not their fish if they grow up around Greenland ?

Take that to the philosophy department of any University, and you'll probably have them occupied for years on end...
You get a passport from the country you're born in, not the places you travel to. Not that I believe these fish actually belong to us, but they are ours to take care as our all the natural resources that are on Canadian soil, migratory or not.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'll get back to this topic in 8 days
In the mean time ,NASF is the ONLY viable group . THIS is where your money should go to support Atlantic Salmon declines
NASCO is slightly pure BS
ASF is almost pure 70 %BS ( unless you are on the Miramichi watershed )
FQSA is 80 % total BS .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is the evidence in Atlantic Canada that open pen salmon rearing is a problem with wild stock populations? Give me a reference to a creditable study.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Where is the evidence in Atlantic Canada that open pen salmon rearing is a problem with wild stock populations? Give me a reference to a creditable study.
Really ? 1st and secondary research on GOOGLE will get you the answer you are so dearly looking for . Of course you must join the ASF and/or FQSA and peruse their journals . NASCO and NASF also have the answer you are looking for .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts