Spey Pages banner

If you could mount your hook point on the side, which side would you choose?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The choices are upstream or downstream. Let us say you are fishing right bank (As you cast out , water is flowing left to right. Near the end of the swing, you end up with the bank on your right shoulder.) Would you want your hook, that is turned 90 degrees from the bottom of the river, to be pointing downstream ( to your right) or facing upstream (to your left)?

This is just something to ponder about how a Steelhead attacks a fly. Do they hit from the downstream side or the upstream side near the end of the swing? I guess one would also have to account for how the fish turns after the take. Hope you guys can help me out.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Fish doubles and split the difference :hihi:

Matt,

While I tend to think this is thinking too much, I give you credit as it did make me pause and think. Assuming the fish is taking the fly and turning to return to station, then the bend would be most effective when the point is nearest the bank. Of course for those fish that come from behind and vortex it in from downstream, a point hanging down (or up) would be most effective.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey tip and beau, the reason why I ask is that these shrimp get the crap thwacked out of them on the river, but no hook sets. So I'm thinking the tail is interfering. As you can see, I have set the points in both the up and down position to no avail. The tail of the shrimp is weighted and acts like a keel to keep the shrimp in a swimming position. I've tried one tied to the side, but there is a serious imbalance problem. A larger tail will correct it, but I'm not going to have that sleek summer run fly. Sorry folks. Seems I'm always looking for a better mouse trap.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts