Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to setup a dream rod. I'm trying to do some research on spey reels, but I'm very unfamiliar with them. I've live in Colorado and fly fished 120 days a year, but the spey life is new to me as well as chasing chrome. Just bought an ARC 13'2" 7wt. for the west coast chrome, but I need to find the matching reel. Looking for all input on a reel. From a bit of reading here I've been looking at new and vintage hardy Perfects, and Abel Switch/Spey reels but I'm still completely open to opinions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Watch for Hardy Salmon 2's here on the board.

Took me all of one second to purchase another offered up for sale yesterday.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gotta give a budget or you'll receive 2 million different opinions. Lots of good info if you give a price point.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Pre-1920's Hardy Perfect with 1912 check, 3 3/4" diameter, with line guard, brass faced ... if you can find one! ;)

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
Maurice Noel M400TT.

I have a few of his reels in single action, both delrin and titanium sideplates and they're works of art and function.
The multiplier would be the crowning glory!

S

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,059 Posts
KIngpin Spey Reel

Google it, I'm saving my pennies to get one. In the meantime, I'm loving the Hardy Marquis series.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I really like my Saracione Mk4 3-3/4". Sweet, sweet sound when a big fish runs hard. And it is made like a fine watch. Pricey, but worth it.

Jim

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,400 Posts
Since money is not an option:

A 3 3/4 Olson either Gear & Pawl or Raised Pillar
A Marice Noel titanium and delrin - mentioned above by Sevilla
A pre-war 3 3/4 Perfect - preferably with line guard (like the one I have currently for sale in classifieds :D )

Of course an appropriately sized Vom Hoffe or Zwarg would be nice as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input guys. After reading through a these I have about 4 reels on the mind. The new nautilus spey, the Abel spey, and the hardy perfect or at john. Can anyone give me any feedback on the following 4? Also how are speyco and islander reels?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys. After reading through a these I have about 4 reels on the mind. The new nautilus spey, the Abel spey, and the hardy perfect or at john. Can anyone give me any feedback on the following 4? Also how are speyco and islander reels?

I am a Speyco fan. For the money, you will not find a better click and pawl classic-style reel. I have 2, and thinking of getting 1 or 2 more. They can be customized, for weight and appearance, and are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a similar reel. And 100% made in Green Bay, WI! Plus Tim (owner) is an awesome guy that is dedicated to giving you the best product.

I heard Islanders are good, and so are Olson. But an Olson, you will pay a pretty penny for one!

·
Carp aficionado
1,214 Posts

The St. John will most likely be undersized on a 13'2 7wt. All the reels you mentioned have their merits and the choice comes down to preference. The Perfect will hold its value the best.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Welcome to the board. Lots of great threads here if your able to use the search function. Or google each reel your interested in (and most likely you'll see links leading back to threads here). :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
All those reels would serve you well and last a lifetime. I think you may want to decide drag or no drag, then if no drag rim control or not. From there which ever has the look that catches your eye.

I own a few of the reels you identified, my preference would be the Able Sepy unported.

·
Hopeless Romantic...
1,950 Posts
Any older hardy perfect, as you simply can't replicate battle scars, patina, and the mojo that comes with those years on the river

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
This seems rare, do you know of or have any photos that are or can be posted?
Hello.. Sorry, no photos. I saw one on fleabay a few years back, but it was gone before I uploaded any photos, and the seller didn´t have any more. Made in the 30´s, it was based on a 3 3/4" (in this case) Silex, completed with clicker system from a St. George. Meaning, same manufacturing procedure as the "Davy" reel. One collector told the seller, "he knew of a few old "Cascapedias", one "Alta", but not any "Ferris" reels". It was never catalogued, seller reckoned that there were less than 10 made.. Yours borano20

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hands down a pre-war 1912 check 4in perfect, no line guide for less moving parts & a more durable less machined frame true to its casting from the mold

1 - 19 of 19 Posts