Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was on the local Russian River, and the river was a great green color and running at perfect flow rate.

It was cold for California and the water never warmed up. All day I was getting bumps and some light tugs with no connections.

I was using my Sage 6126, a Skagit 450 and the Rio type 12' Sinking leader. I finally went to an egg fly and nothing happened with the red color. Then I attached an Oregon Cheese soft egg fly. On the next cast I got several good bumps and couple of light tugs. On the Dangle straight down at about 80' down stream, I got a heavy tug, and I tried to set the hook.

At first I thought I missed. Then I thought I had a small fish. Next a big steelhead charged straight up the river right at me :eek: . My Loop 3W couldn't keep up, and I started to strip in line. Finally at about 20' out it stopped and the fly came loose :( . I saw it turn and swim away. It was a big fish.

So what do you do when this happens, or is there anything you can do?:confused:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Only one thing you can do Grampa: Drop your rod tip into the drink, hope the extra drag on all that fat spey line provides enough tension to hold the hook in place, and reel like if you do it hard and fast enough you're gonna win something :smokin:

The fun part is locating where exactly the fish is after you clear all the slack...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Philster said:
Only one thing you can do Grampa: Drop your rod tip into the drink, hope the extra drag on all that fat spey line provides enough tension to hold the hook in place, and reel like if you do it hard and fast enough you're gonna win something :smokin:

The fun part is locating where exactly the fish is after you clear all the slack...
Thanks I had the rod tip at about 50 to 60 degrees. With the fat Skagit line, it probably would have worked if I had dropped the tip in the water.

We do that when a striper decides become a torpedo and charges our boat. You just don't want to have the rod tip too deep or you may end up with a shorter rod. One friend with a large and fast charging striper won by a TKO. The striper hit boat so hard it stunned itself. My friend did some very fast stripping of line into his stripping bucket to get a tight line, and his partner had the Boca Grip ready to grab the Striper when it was brought around to the boat again. They took out the hook and when the Striper woke up, they released the Boca Grip. It staggered away.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Bob Pauli said:
Dave,
Dip the tip, as Philster says. It works for all species I fish for.
Bob
Thanks for enforcing what Philster posted.

Actually my son uses this technique when he nymphs on Putah, the Williamson and other rivers with big trout. When they charge after being hooked, he pokes the tip of his rod in the water and drops any fly line he has in his hand on the water, behind him and away from the rod tip.

What are you doing tomorrow?

Can you spring loose to go to the Russian?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishing tomorrow on the Russian

Bob Pauli said:
Sure! Thank you.
Lets plan on meeting at Nob Hill tomorrow at about 8 am. You will need to bring sandwiches or buy them at Nob Hill.

We can fish until about 5 or 5:30 and come home. That will have us getting back to Napa at about 6:45 pm.

My 6126 was adequate yesterday and there is an area below that, where a nine weight will work. This is the same area we were at last year to test the Skagits. Of course bring whatever you want to play with. I'm bringing my 5120 and Meiser 5/6 switch rods for the smaller guys.

There is no agreement about what fly to use so bring what ever steelhead fly or big trout fly you want.

Give me a call this evening. I will be doing honey do stuff soon.

Dave

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
hey gramps

you wanted to know what to do

"If the steelhead charges at you after the strike?"

get the hell out of the water if on the edge,

or protect the jewels if waist deep.

if that doesn't work there's always the 9mm as a last resort.

that's sounds like one pissed buck!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Gary

·
Registered
693 Posts
Have to agree with Gary on this one!

If you don't have a 9mm one of those harpoon guns with the exploding tips will work or one of those spear guns like they had in Jaws. Did you ever-wonder how many barrels a good-sized steelhead can take down? :eek:

Charlie

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Charlie said:
Have to agree with Gary on this one!

If you don't have a 9mm one of those harpoon guns with the exploding tips will work or one of those spear guns like they had in Jaws. Did you ever-wonder how many barrels a good-sized steelhead can take down? :eek:

Charlie
I'm noticing a geographic pattern here... I gotta try me them Lake Steelhead :razz:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did back up out of the water.

voodoofly said:
you wanted to know what to do

"If the steelhead charges at you after the strike?"

get the hell out of the water if on the edge,

or protect the jewels if waist deep.

if that doesn't work there's always the 9mm as a last resort.

that's sounds like one pissed buck!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Gary
I was only in about 6 inches of water where the river made a curve, and I did back up as it started to charge.:whoa:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Charging Steelhead

So has anyone ever been hit by a charging steelhead, or other fish for that matter. I have had steelhead scream up river, down river and across. But I have never had one come charging close to where I was standing?:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
actually yes, i have seen 1 get close and personal. i was fishing down a run with a friend fishing along a ways behind me, when i finally hooked up. the fish immediately took off like a scalded dog upriver. it made it about 20 yards, and i saw my line rising slightly - it was going to jump! before i could physically react, the fish was out of the water, and my line went limp. the steelhead threw the hook. it's jump took it past my partner....... at head level. he had to wipe fish slime off his face due to how close it passed in front of him.

as for a true charge with intent to slime......... no, i haven't experienced that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
sometimes they just come unbuttoned!!!!!! that is all there is to it don't think too much about it just enjoy the steelheads company for as long as he allows...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I second philsters advice: dip the tip. But would like to point out here the advantage of a loud Hardy-like reel in these situations. When a fish charges upstream he's often pulling line that the downstream bow in your line doesn't reveal at first. A Hardy, in it's inimitable screaming cacophony, will often tell you sooner than your eyes will just where the fish is headed.

cheers,
dan'l

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
ChromeFever said:
So has anyone ever been hit by a charging steelhead, or other fish for that matter. I have had steelhead scream up river, down river and across. But I have never had one come charging close to where I was standing?:Eyecrazy:
Not a steelhead, but I've had large Kings "plow" into me on a couple of occations. Interesting to watch the action develop; "Na, he's not ... OH Shxt! Yes he is!"

WHAP!:eek:

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
On a smaller river I once had one fish clear the water and land on the opposite bank, then flop back into the river. I suspect this happens a fair bit.

·
Registered
445 Posts
...........I saw one go between a ''newbies'' legs,and he didn't have a clue where the fish was!! It was thrashing around behind him,almost on the bank!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts