Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a large trout spey rod. I plan to fish it this year on upper Missouri near Craig, the N.Platte at Grey Reef, the Alagnak in AK, and the Deschutes this year, as well as some colorado rivers.

I'd love to hear recommendations from the latest crop of trout spey that are in the market. Thus far I've tried the classic Loomis GLX 11' #5 (which I find too slow) the Sage One 11' #5, but I don't have access to a Winston Microspey series, and both the 4 and 5 sound good. I've ready about modifying single handers to double--over my head. I'll stick to commercial.

Curious about other views from folks who've done the comparisons more recently.

Readmeray

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Talk with Bob Meiser you can look him up on google or he is on this site often. He will let you try out some nice rods that will surely fit the bill.

Bob's a good guy! I have one of his rods and about ready to order another.

KC

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
I have behind me about 80 days of fishing for Alaskan Rainbows, with CFB 5115-4 since it was released in 2010. Many in 24-29 inches class. Predominantly swinging leach type fly and swinging/stripping mouse pattern with CF Burkheimer 11'5" wt.5. Tried or had before few large rod maker small trout spays and some other form custom makers.

Burkie is second to none. ( Rio Scandi Versitip, 370 gr/33', Airfo Scandi floater 360 gr + leader/polyleader, Airfo Scagit Switch 390/20' plus tip)

In AK I use a small Steelhead rubber net.

Here is CFB 5115-4 bows:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a sage one 11' 6" - 4 wt switch. I have fished it several times on the Mo just up and downstream from Craig and have loved it- even though Im not a very good caster . It handles the wind, as well as the fish nicely- its not so stiff, so when you hook up, its still enjoyable. I have not had a chance to try a winston - but have considered building one. You might call trouthunters there in Craig and get their opinion- they are starting to have spey lessons on the MO and have guides who really enjoy using spey rods on the MO- they have a web site- they are in Craig
Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
We swing Grey Reef quite a bit. Wind is constantly an issue there. I use a 6119 tcx to toss bigger tips and flies. The 6 wt also can cut the wind. This rod is also used every fall on the deschutes for dry line steel. I have a 4119 one but the wind chews her up on the reef. Hope this helps.
For lines on the 6119 I like a 420 switch and the medium rio mow tips. For the dry line on that rod I like a 420 rage with a 5' poly or a 10 mono leader. Great turnover with the mono on the rage head.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Somewhere in Interior SW Alaska. I realize that due to lack of roads around and without jet sled it is inaccessible, but prefer to keep the name anonymous. One can be very lonely out there, unless he/she wants to have Grizzly as a fishing companion...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Beulah Onyx!

Onyx 12'4" 5 weight would be another good rod to look at for those systems.

Scandi...Elixir 350 Switch length.
Skagit...Tonic 400 Switch length.

Our 11'7" 5 wt. Platinum is a much more lightly powered trout 5 for swinging soft hackles, small spey flies and leeches. Would not deal with the wind and distance you will find on the "MO" and Grey Reef.

Bruce Berry~

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Contact Gary Anderson (ACR rods), he has the 2 hand trout game nailed! Gary has trout speys from 2wts on up and his rods come with a line to match.
(541) 582-4318

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,985 Posts
How far do you need to cast to get to the fish on your rivers?

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
With near 500 days for fishing for AK bows over the last 14 years, with various SH and DH trout rods, I have yet to find anything better ( the way it cast, fish and feel) then Kerry Burkheimer DH 5115-4 or SH 595-6.:):)

In AK, very rarely one need to cast and target fish laying more then 60-70 feet away, and often much, much closer. So the rod you choose must be very versatile.
Running with over 12' rod between gravel bars and around bushes is very impractical

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can't go wrong with an Anderson ACR 1255 or 1174. Of course the 5wt is better for the heavier/larger fly work or bigger fish.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I've cast the the Burkie 5115, and it is an incredible rod.

I have the Meiser 11'7 45, and love it just as much.

I like either a Goshall Scandit, a 300 Rage, or a 320 skagit for tossing a little more bulk. Incredible rods, both of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bruce: the upper Missouri, Alagnak, and Grey Reef section of the North Platte in Wyoming are places where a 70-90 foot cast are not just showing off, and where a skilled caster could really control a swing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Sazan. I'll give the Burkheimers a look. That's another brand that's less represented in the midwest so it's hard to test cast them. I'm curious about what you were casting on them. Can the DH 5115 deliver large streamers and perhaps even mice?

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,985 Posts
Bruce: the upper Missouri, Alagnak, and Grey Reef section of the North Platte in Wyoming are places where a 70-90 foot cast are not just showing off, and where a skilled caster could really control a swing.
Then why bust a gut with a short rod when a 12ft 6 up will make those casts and the swing all the easier.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts