Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the ideal set up would be for the casting portion of THCI test. Currently i am spending a lot of time practicing with the Scott LS2 1509 with the 8/9 xlt. Was hoping for some input, maybe there would a better combo like a shorter rod with a mid belly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Leo Licastro

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Consider using the rod you would use for demonstration purposes in any casting clinic or demo you would present. It's probably not a bad idea to have this rod be the same rod or a rod similar to one you'd recommend for a beginning-to-intermediate caster.

As to line choice, be certain it is a line style that will allow you to hit the "non-shooting" distance requirements, keeping in mind that every cast has squiggles in it that rob you of distance. Also, think about the color of your line. It's great if you choose a line that casts superbly, but not so great if it is a line that your students can't see. For my test I used the SA Mid-Head line.

Overall, keep in mind that while casting skill is extremely important, equally important is the candidate's teaching ability and lesson planning. Lots of folks these days can cast over 100ft; but not many of them could teach an intermediate caster how to cast 100ft based on where that caster is at the moment and what they need to refine to increase their distance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Outfit for THCI

Consider the head length for hitting the 80' group of casts THEN you must shoot line to 100' group casts. SO be aware that shooting is a requirement and the line you use needs to meet this requirement. I used a modified mid lenght head so I could hit the 80' mark with easy and then shoot the extra
20' for the 100' targets. What Dana said is right on. I would also add that you should make each cast look effortless. You are modeling each cast to the student so make it look effortless. Good Luck.
Klem,................................::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
CCI and THCI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts