Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be in Utah the first week of october for work, the following week my wife and I are returning to Minnesota via Idaho. We are already planning on camping a couple days along the Salmon River near Salmon, ID, in hopes of finding steel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other places to hit? Any good places to hit the Snake in search of trout? I am looking at hitting the Provo near SLC while I am in town for work. Any particular sections that may work good for a swung streamer? Not much good swing water here for trout so I am excited to get out there and do it for real!

Thanks

-Dan

PS- Anyone interested in meeting up to fish? Always cold beer to share back at camp...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also interested myself in into about the Snake up that way, I'll hopefully be making a trip or 2 up there this fall.

Depending on timing, I could show you around the provo. Definitely not claiming to be an expert but I know it OK. Lots of good water to swing through but if you're looking to fish the 2 handed rods it's maybe a little small for that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
salmon river

Hey Dan,

There should be a few fish around by then. Most of those fish are making a pretty good journey to get that far up in the system. So, most are showing up a bit later (late oct. into early december). That being said, run timing varies.

There's a family owned c-store / restaurant in North Fork which is a good source for finding out where the bite may be on. Its a good place to get a bite after a day of fishing too, though be careful, they sometimes close a bit early.

Best,
Geoff

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not in the least!

Looks like my vacation plans got deep sixed. Problems at work. Earliest i could get out taht way is mid november. Too late for steelies?
Later is better .....

Remember we're having (another) very low water flow year and (save for huge rains-don't count on it:() so 'later will be better' to find fish that far up the river system.

Only thing you'd better be prepared for is the mornings will be COLD, like really cold. Bring appropriate clothing/gloves.:tsk_tsk:

fae

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mid November is a good time to fish the Salmon

Dan:

The fish are just coming over the last dam on the Snake 300 or so miles from Salmon so mid-November is usually a good time to be there. Weather "averages" in the high 30's during the day and high teens at night, but it can be 20 degrees +/- that. weather.com/weather/monthly/USID0228?month=1 (add a www. to make the link hot). Water will probably be 36-38 so bring sink tips and leachy popsicle like stuff to fish as the fish usually won't move far when it is that cold.

Back-up if the river is blown is the SF Snake below Palisades. You should get a brief baetis hatch during mid-day.

Good luck,

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts