Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-

Ok, this is the hookup for the spey world, so I wanted to get this off my chest. I own the CND Expert 13' 6/7 and I love the crap out of it. I fished in company with other anglers over Christmas on the White River and caught 8 fish in a couple hours on a slow day (for the other guys). Great stick. Now I want to upgrade.

Unfortunately, looking around, I find that there's not much for me to upgrade to. What I am looking for is a nice casting rod with a similar action to the CND that has some rod jewelry. After all, this is meant to be a trout stream stick, and I admit it, I like to fish with pretty things for pretty fish. (I also like to fish with less pretty things for less pretty fish, hence my fascination with TFOs).

I just wrote Goran Andersson at Loop (hope it goes through) asking him to develop a Greyline 13' 5 weight. See, that's the other problem. Apparently only CND has gotten the message that we trout anglers don't necessarily want to settle for an 10'6" or 11' five weight. If I am going to spey fish, I want to spey fish, thank you very much, and with a 10'6" rod I would just overhead cast the whole time. (Thanks CND for getting it!)

What I want is a rod with CND's cork and length sensibilities that looks like Loop's Greyline or Winston's Derek Brown Favorite. (Don't care for any of the new BIIxs). Am I going to have to build this myself? Can Bob Meiser get CND blanks?

Zach

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Rod jewelery??? Juro has said the Custom and Expert blanks can be had although I have never heard that he had any in stock. Send him an e-mail to find out about availability.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
Zach,

If you want a longer trout spey there are more and more choices out there. The 5120 Sage, the Loomis Metolius Trout Spey and then there are Bob Meiser's lovely, lovely trout speys. And don't forget the CND Spey trackers.

sinktip

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gary Anderson (Anderson Custom Rods) makes a gorgeous great castingl 12'6" 5-weight and CND makes a 5 weight Spey Tracker at just over 12' too.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
loco alto!
2,990 Posts
Do the Meiser and Anderson 12'6" 5 weights share a common origin like the 13 footers? What lines to match? Just curious ...

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Meiser rods

Check out my post on the thread "Trout Rods" started by Cris T today in the Rods forum section for line reccomendations on the 12'6" 4/5/6.

If you go to Meisers website (click the link, he's a sponsor) you'll see the beauty for yourself. I had a 13' 5/6/7 done with some gorgeous woodwork built into the grips. He also rebuilt a Winston for me with woodwork that is unbeleivable. E mail him and I'm sure he'll show you the pics.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hi SSpey,

The Anderson/Burkie 12'6" 3 pc. 5/6 is a super sweet rod....Steve Godshall helped develop her with Gary/Burkie and has full info on lines for her.

You may consider giving them a message.

My 12'6" rods are 5 pc. in 4/5/6, 6/7 and 7/8 wts.... The tapers were all developed in my shop, with roll-up done by CTS New Zealand.

They are all fast/medium fast progressive actions <> progressive tapers.

Grain windows:

4/5/6 ~ 280 to 400
6/7 ~ 380 to 510
7/8 ~ 480 to 580

Short to mid length belly spey tapers and Scando/Skagit shooting heads with tips.

Hope this helps....Meiz

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Zach

Bob Meiser is building me a rod with a burgandy blank, dark green wraps and Scotch barrel wood accents in the handle. Bob's rods are beautiful with feather inlays and interesting cork designs. I have Bob's 13'6" 8/9 with two tips. It is a beautiful rod that casts and fishes effortlessly. If you want something unique - Call Bob.

As you know CND's are beautiful rods with excellent actions but they all look alike. Can't beat them for value.

Rich

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
As Sinktip has already mentioned, there are trout speys on the market from CND, Loomis, Sage, and Meiser. He forgot the T&T 1206, which is a very nice trout spey, but it is faster than your CND more along the lines of Meiser's. However, since you are interested in eye candy, just get in touch with Meiser and have him built a 12'6" or 13' one to your specs regarding thread color, grip inlays, feather inlays, ect. and you will be more than happy with the result. And the best part is Meiser will do this for less or the same price as the factory rods from Loomis, T&T, or Sage.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Loomis

I have been fishing the Loomis metolious 13ft4in5/6. A tad slower of a rod than I prefer, but does the trick, bends like a true 5/6 weight rod would when you hook a fish. I feel the components are a bit cheesy, but they may appeal to others. I fish a WC 5/6, and have been thinking I may go bigger (heavier and longer). I also am waiting to try the Meiser "trouters" at the GL clave this spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts