Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been lurking a while just trying to learn. I don't know much so I stay quiet,( and I'm a bad speller too). I enjoy reading the information and after a while I feel like I know some of you personalities.
I have a question I want to ask. I have a Cortland 444sl wf 10f/s sink tip that came on a young s 1535, and I don't know if it has an application for a 2H rod.
Is this thing usable?

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,264 Posts
Hi,

You could use the line with perhaps a rod on the order of an 11' 6/7 weight. I would have to know the length of the head of the line and its weight before I could make a better guess than that. You'll be way ahead to get a rod and then match it with a line prescribed by the maker or by fellows using the same rod than to try matching a rod to a line........

Instead of lurking you should enter into more discussions and ask questions. No one will think badly of you for wanting to get answers and these fellows can answer about anything you will ask.

Ard

·
loco alto!
2,984 Posts
spey line design has progressed greatly compared to the old level, single-hand sinktip lines. That line will work for some applications, most notably overhead casting, but perhaps the best use of it would be to salvage it for parts - cut off the sinktip portion to desired length, and cut off the running line. Put loops on them. Then choose an appropriate modern two-handed line that matches your rod, just the main belly (i.e., a shooting head, which is how many two-hand lines are sold these days), and loop on the running line and sinktip to complete the system

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What Ard said .... +1

Hi,

You could use the line with perhaps a rod on the order of an 11' 6/7 weight. I would have to know the length of the head of the line and its weight before I could make a better guess than that. You'll be way ahead to get a rod and then match it with a line prescribed by the maker or by fellows using the same rod than to try matching a rod to a line........

Instead of lurking you should enter into more discussions and ask questions. No one will think badly of you for wanting to get answers and these fellows can answer about anything you will ask.

Ard
Any single hander rod at 10 foot can be 'spey cast' successfully. Rod doesn't know/doesn't care. Tight casting quarters, and a single hander, you'd better learn how to 'spey cast' PDQ. ;)

DANG ME ALMOST FORGOT! Welcome to the Board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for your reply.
Ard- I have a 12 6/7 to try, if I can pull it off I'll save it for a beach line
SSPey- thanks for the idea. The tip is 15 foot long I will definitely do that.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts