Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here are the stats:

I've got a Sage 7141-4, 7wt 14'1" Europeand fast action spey rod and I'm getting either a Ross Momentum or Sage 3600D shortly.

Now I need the line and I'm having trouble figuring this all out. I would like to go with a skagit line as this is my first ever spey rod. I want to use it in the surf for lake run browns, salmon and steelhead in Michigan as well as salmon and steelhead in the rivers. I would also like to use it for stripers in the rivers in Kansas and Oklahoma. So what skagit grain weight should I buy and which head set-up? same goes for sinktips. Lastly, will I be able to swing bombers for steelhead on western rivers, or will I have to buy a seperate line for this in the future? Right now swinging bombers is not a priority.

Thanks.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
According to Simon the rod needs a skagit 600 with a 5' cheater. You could match it with tips in floater, intermediate, type 3, type 6, and type 8. I believe I would pick 9wt (129grns) tips.

Any Rio dealer can order this for you and several sponsors of this site have these items in stock.

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/2007 Spey line recs1.pdf

With the floating tip you can swing Bombers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still a bit lost .... why the 600 grain head? Two sources have already told me to go with the 550. Why the difference?

Also, what tips besides the T-14? I know they mention tips on their website, but I was not sure exactly what product line they were talking about. Are they talking about windcutter tips?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Some manufacturers, such as Rio, make factory 15' tips. They make floaters, type 3, 6 and 8. They make them for a specified weight (e.g. type 8 for 9 wt @ 129 grains vs. type 8 for 10 weight @ 149 grains).

They have nice small premade loops and they're coloured labelled to easily let you know what type and weight tip you have.

Hope that helps.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I'm still a bit lost .... why the 600 grain head? Two sources have already told me to go with the 550. Why the difference?
Ladykiller, If two sources have already told you to use a 550 I'm wondering why you are still asking which line to use. The info I gave you was taken right off of Rio's site and referenced with a link for your further study.

Yes, WC tips are what I mentioned.

It should be noted that all the info you have gotten can/should only be used as a starting point and that the only sure way to get a good matchup between you and the rod/line is a test drive with a couple line sizes to see what works best for your casting style and ability.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MJC said:
Ladykiller, If two sources have already told you to use a 550 I'm wondering why you are still asking which line to use.
Cause I don't want to dump a ton of $$ on something that won't work well ;)

I ended up calling Rio and they told me to go with the 600 or 650gr, plus 8/9/10 cheaters, and 10wt sinktips. Wow this stuff is confusing. Good thing I didn't buy 7wt labeled stuff!!!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Cause I don't want to dump a ton of $$ on something that won't work well
How about a test drive with an Airflo skagit head? No obligation except the return postage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the off MJC, but I don't have the reel yet and I can get the Rio line at a discount. I'm also limited for time as I have a trip next month.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I ended up calling Rio and they told me to go with the 600 or 650gr, plus 8/9/10 cheaters, and 10wt sinktips. Wow this stuff is confusing. Good thing I didn't buy 7wt labeled stuff!!!!
I looks to me like you still have a pretty BIG question mark as to what line to get.

Thanks for the off MJC, but I don't have the reel yet and I can get the Rio line at a discount. I'm also limited for time as I have a trip next month.
As I like Rio lines my offer wasn't so much to turn you on to another brand but to let you see what 650grns felt like on your rod before you drop your $$$. I happen to have a demo Airflo 650grns skagit head with running line and the appropriate tip. The Airflo is longer then the Rio so you don't need the cheater. The fact that you don't have a reel is only a minor inconvienence.
Getting the lines at discount is great if you know what to get. I wish you well in your quest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts