Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I started my fly-fishing career with a two-handed rod. After some quick first experiences with friends' gear, I walked into the store with the same friends. They piled some stuff on the counter and I paid the bill. I think that most of the stuff was for me.

I now have a very carefully selected set of one-handed rods and accompanying lines that I bought after becoming a fly-fishing nut. But I still have the same two-handed gear that I bought initially, the same lines and everything. While I've been doing some fishing with a two hander every year, last year I noticed that the salmon junkie in me was starting to raise its head in a bad way. I bought Gawesworth's book Spey Casting, read it several times, did some pantomiming in the winter and practised in the summer, and fished up north for a week and down south for a couple of days. I made some real improvement.

I also started to think that I might benefit from a new line. The lines that I have now are
  • a floating 11wt 90' DT by SA (Air Cel Supreme 2)
  • a type IV sinking 10wt shooting head by Guideline.
My rod is a Greys Fallowden, a 15' 10wt, which I think is more of the old school. I hate fishing with my sinking shooting head: spey casting sucks, can't even see the damn thing since it's black so I don't know where the anchor goes. The 11wt DT is ok, but I'm curious how a newer spey line would feel.

I like fishing the long line, that is, spey cast, take a step, spey cast again, with no need to strip or other hassle. So I took a look at the new long lines and noticed the Grandspey with tips from Rio. I was thinking: could I perhaps get rid of the shooting head at the same time?

So, finally, my questions are:
  • Does the Grandspey sound like a wise choice to you experts?
  • Should I buy the 9/10 or 10/11? (I'm guessing 9/10.)
  • How deep can you really get with the 15' tips in the package? (Never used anything like that before.)
  • Any other tips or ideas?

I fish in Finland and Norway, mostly up north in the summer, but occasionally also when the water is cold and there's more of it.

(And hi to Brian Niska if you're reading this. Didn't catch anything in the Green lake, but it sure was pretty ... and windy ... and cold too.)

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
I think if you are comfortable throwing a DT line you will be even more comfortable throwing a modern long belly spey line.

If you want to use tips the GrandSpey is a good choice. I have also heard that the CND line is very good with tips, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

The GrandSpey has a very good turnover, and by my opinion, maybe to good for the delicate summer fishing with small flies. So I would got a Carron or XLT line for your floating line fishing and use the Grandspey for tips and very heavy flies. A Carron 95' would be a good choice if you don't like to shoot line.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Jarmo

If you are up for a little experimenting as to whether or not you'll like fishing a sinktip you can always chop and loop the back end of your DT and buy a ready made 15' sinktip or cut 15' (or whatever) off the tip of that dreaded 10wt shooting head and loop that as well. Here is an example of what I'm describing:
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/member.php?u=584

I think you would like the GrandSpey. I have several customers that think it is a great line. The sink rates for the tips can be found on Rio's site http://www.rioproducts.com/index.asp. It should be remembered the these sink numbers are for still water.

Also if you know Brian Niska I'm sure he could give you some sound advice on choosing a longer belly line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the head up. I'm leaning more and more towards the Grandspey. I need to find out where to order it with a reasonable price tag.

McIntyre,

I think I don't need to worry about the turnover. The range of flies that I use is sizes 2/0-12, and I would not want to switch lines in between. And I'm very much intrigued by trying a long belly spey line, to see how it affects my casting.

MJC,

That is an idea. But it would destroy those two lines, and what if I would not happen to like the Grandspey.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have not cast the GS but have cast teh xlt and think this is a great line both as a floating line and for tips. It does not come as a sink tip combo but you can easily cut it and install custom loops and use it as either a floater or tip line. I have the original 9/10 and it will turn over any tips with authority

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Jarmo_H...

I know the system I speak of works very well so I don't believe it would destroy the DT as it does have two identical ends. Just loop it back together.
It will use up a good part of your "dreaded" sinking head but as I said, you must be open to some experimentation. You could always just buy a 15' sinktip pretty inexpensivly.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I really like the GS lines with sink tips and use one all the time with sink tips. The 9/10 would be the better choice; but make sure it is the new GS that weighs 900grs and not the old, original one that weighed 1300 grs. Depending on the speed of the water you are fishing and the sink rate of the sink tip, you can expect a 15' tip to get down anywhere from 6" to 8'or 9'.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Try b4 u buy

Go with the Grand Spey tips line. Several of our sponsors offer a try before you buy program. When in doubt order the two lines in question. Keep the one you like. Return the other. All you are out is the postage.

If you find the Grand Spey tips line to turn over with too much authority, an easy option would be to loop on a different tip for the smaller flies. Tips are relativly cheap. And if you are going to thin it down, you can go longer and still retain the grain weight. Perhaps a 30' 7 or 8 wt shooting head?

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
JDJones said:
If you find the Grand Spey tips line to turn over with too much authority, an easy option would be to loop on a different tip for the smaller flies. Tips are relativly cheap. And if you are going to thin it down, you can go longer and still retain the grain weight. Perhaps a 30' 7 or 8 wt shooting head?
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Have you tried this in practice? Alexander Grant used a simmilar setup for his fishing. A long very nicely tapered tip for fishing with small flies and a shorter more agresively tapered tip for bigger flies.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Fine & Far off

Actually, the guys that fish sink tips on XLT lines do this. Having such a fine tip, the XLT line must sometimes be cut back as much as 25 feet in order to have enough mass to turn over a sink tip. Fifteen feet is usually the length of the (sink) tips used. So,,,you have a long fine tip for greased line work. And a shorter tip for sunk line work. I have not done this to my XLT lines yet.

What I have done is to extend a 900 gr (old) 7/8 Grand Spey line by looping ten feet of floating taper onto the tip end. This was done in an effort to "lighten up" the line. In effect replacing ten feet of fat line at the back end with ten feet of lighter line at the front end. It did "lighten up" the line. But I put that project on hold when the new, lighter weight, Grand Speys came out.

The Grand Spey lines have always been known for their aggresive turn over. They have always had the ability tto turn over large flies. And the new lines are no exception. Whatever length the tips are on the Grand Spey w/tips lines, (15'?) you could probably make a floater another ten feet longer and get by with it. As long as you kept the fly size within reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick J said:
I have not cast the GS but have cast teh xlt and think this is a great line both as a floating line and for tips. It does not come as a sink tip combo but you can easily cut it and install custom loops and use it as either a floater or tip line.
That's an interesting idea. What kind of a loop system do you use. Braided loops? (I've had some problems with them in the past.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JDJones said:
Go with the Grand Spey tips line. Several of our sponsors offer a try before you buy program. When in doubt order the two lines in question. Keep the one you like. Return the other. All you are out is the postage.
Do you think they'd be willing to a deal like that with a guy in Finland?
JDJones said:
A great idea, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts