Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well. It seems that a few weeks ago I was arguing with several of you about the validity of the "Perfect" style reels, vs the newer more modern saltwater monsters that I, of course, felt were a far better and more functional fit for today's spey rods. Totally practical, much more durable, versital for the salt, smoother, lighter, and just plain better.

:rolleyes: Well, I just ordered a Bougle Mk 4, and I am jacked about it!!!!! While totally inpractical, less durable, requiring far more maintainance, and all of the other stuff I previously mentioned, it has one thing going for it. IT LOOKS COOL!!!! :hehe: And I guess, lookin' cool finally sold me. The last time I was buying a spey reel, I seriously considered one, but my practical side won out. Well, this time, I was dead set on another reel, and would have in fact purchased it a month or two ago, except for a little pocket pinch at the time. But now, cool looking impulse over took me, I am guilty of hypocrisy, and what ever else, but dang it, its a COOl reel.
And next time I hook up, people in several counties will get to hear that thing singin!!!:devil: :smokin:

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Andy Murray from Hardy was in our neck of the woods last month and brought samples of this reel with him. They are very nice indeed.

N I

·
Banned
161 Posts
Trying to resist...

I keep thinking a Bougle belongs on one of my rods. They are indeed beautiful and hold a ton of backing. My biggest reservation has been line retrieval. While I do not think a saltwater drag is necessary for steelhead, I think being able to gain quicky ground on a fish that has just made a long run is very important. Today's large arbor design allow you to pick up a lot of line (especially running line) quickly when afforded the opprotunity. What are thoughts on using Hardys or other traditional reels on hot steelhead?

Thanks, John

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JGS, read the thread "Landing Mo Steelhead," where you will not only find a vast majority of the contributers raving about using Perfect style reels for fighting steelhead, but also my own hypocrisy:p that they aren't always the best option. Hell, I guess I can run for office now:hehe:

JGS, there have been many disscusions on the validity of the large arbour reel concept in the past. I won't explain it in math terms, as my limited mental capacity prevents this, but I will say this. A reel's retrieve speed is determined by its outside diameter, not its arbour size. A LA reel with an outside diamiter of 4'' will pick up line at the same pace as a standard arbour reel with a 4'' outer diameter. Provided they are the same width, you retrieve ratio will be the same in each, no matter how much line is out. And the std arbour holds more line. If you want a faster retrieve, a larger outside diamter is the only way to do it short of a multiplier

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Dr. Swing,

You are WRONG! It has two things going for it, it SOUNDS cool :D

I admire your honesty about your hypocracy. I too, about 3 or 4 years ago, was a Hardy hater. Then I heard my first fish on a Marquis and the rest was downhill. Two Bougle's and two Perfects later, I have a Hardy Problem. :smokin:

By the way, let me know if you decide you need another Bougle. I am looking at sellign one of mine to help finance a third Perfect.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sinktip, thanks for reminding me, you are, of course, absolutely correct about the sound! I wouldn't ever have called myself a "Hardy Hater" but they weren't always first on my list. And sorry about my spelling issues, didn't have time to check the last post. Ahh, toys are a-coming! Now if I can only have spring!!!!!

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
sinktip said:
Dr. Swing,

By the way, let me know if you decide you need another Bougle. I am looking at sellign one of mine to help finance a third Perfect.
And I would consider parting with a perfect to finance 3 or 4 bougles... Of course I keep hearing rumors of a Mark V. Hoping they are true and that 4 1/4 is in the mix :eyecrazy:

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JGS,

One thing I forgot to mention. You were wondering if you could keep up with a fish with a non-LA reel. Well a heck of a lot of steelhead were caught on single handed rods an Std arbour reels. These had much slower line retieve rates than any spey reel, large arbour or not. The only disadvantage I can see with a perfect style reel is that you can not spin the spool with your reeling hand to pick up slack line as you can on many disc drag reels. You must reel it in. But when swinging, rarely is there much slack to pick up when a fish takes, unless it takes as you are stripping in for a new cast. Small price to pay for such nice music, and of course, looking cool :devil:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The Mark V's are God awefull ugly,even the Agate ring model !
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think one should keep in mind the fish fighting skills of the angler when considering what type of reel to get. The newer more modern saltwater monsters as the good Dr. Swing calls them can make up for a lot of the inadequacies a less experienced fisherman may have when fighting fish. A more experienced Fisherman will not have a problem landing a fish with a nice Hardy. And while I’m sure that a number of you are better at it than I, I still have no problems landing steelhead or Atlantic salmon on my Hardy click reels. Anyone reading this thread should just try to be honest with themselves and decide witch category they fall into when selecting a reel. Or you could just say the hell with it and get a hardy anyway.:devil:

Charlie.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Brian

Where did you see the new mark V reels? I would like to take a look at these.

Brian

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Brian
Go to Highfield's site at HardyBC.com and click on
2004 coming soon
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yaaaay! Bougle!

I think that part of the allure of flyfishing comes from the simplicity and basic nature of the equipment. Our rods may become more energy efficient, lines built to last longer, our reels become lighter and more durable, but the premise that the angler is still the major means for enabling the capabilities of the equipment can remain genuine. Large arbor may be a necessity for saltwater applications, but it is not needed in river fishing, and in fact "takes away" from some of the "fun" of fishing, in my opinion. If one wishes to eliminate all of the "uncontrollable" variables that can happen in fishing, where then lies the capability for excitement? Is fishing nothing more than attaining the goal of landing fish? What fish do most of us remember with the most vividness - the one that got away. Or, the ones that we triumphed over many "obstacles' and "hardships" to land. A big part of the fun in fishing comes from the gradual learning through experience of how best to use our simple and basic equipment to its best advantage to overcome challenges that we encounter in using our "chosen" method of fishing. It also comes from knowing that we are in fact, not in complete control of the outcome of every angling encounter - and in steelheading that is a big part of the allure - tackling a fish that has the capability to leave us weak-kneed and trembling, shaking our heads, and in amazement over what they can do to us and our equipment.

Keep in mind that our equipment should be viewed as an extension of ourselves, used to help us establish the connection with the quarry that we each seek. It should not be looked at as a shortcut to substitute for skills that can be learned - at least not if one wishes to remain true to the "mano a mano" spirit of flyfishing for steelhead. You will lose many fish on the road of experience. That's just a fact of life, the price to pay. But acquired skill is a much more fulfilling "thing" to have than the most "techie" of equipment.

Something to keep in mind. Rivers have current, and current = tension, which can be used to your advantage in situations where a fish is running towards you. Large arbor? We don't need no stinkin' large arbor!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
RA. Good post
Here's something in the way of a different rathe unique reel. peuxreels.com
cheers
Brian

(Post edited by moderator to remove non-sponsor URL.)

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Big Boys Toys

When will you boys grow UP!:eyecrazy:

I hope I NEVER grow up!:devil:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Salar-1

I will wonder what they were thinking when they put that version out. Not very attractive at all, not expecting that! I really like the mark IV much more. Maybe they will just cut to the chase some day and reintroduce the perfect in a price range most of us can afford, with the optional agate ring of course.

Brian

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Ugly as death backin' out the ****-house door holdin' a copy of Mad magazine! and no 4 1/4" or 4 1/2"! Dang!

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
I kinda like the looks of them. Sorry to see no larger sizes though. For that money though, I would rather have a Perfect.

·
Registered
142 Posts
RA,

You just stated very concisely and eloquently that, while it may be cool to slap a marlin reel on to a spey rod for drag/line pick-up and "balance", it's absolutely unneccessary and for me at least, would severely diminish the fishing experience. It's nice to land fish, but if my sole basis for a satisfying day on the river was number of fish landed, I'd never fish again. The click and pawl reels really push you to become a more experienced angler. If the fish comes of, there will always be another to take your fly and you will have learned something along the way.

Amen, brother, amen.

PS: The new Hardy Bougle Mark V's look brutal! The agate guide is pretty cool, however.

BFR

1 - 20 of 27 Posts