Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was channel surfing tonight and came upon an episode of Jimmy Houston Adventures. This isn't a show I would normally watch but the information on the cable directory mentioned salmon fishing so I scrolled over to it.

It was an episode on salmon fishing in Michigan. They were blatantly snagging fish on television and to add insult to injury they were keeping them. I don't live in Michigan but my understanding is that is ilegal to snag in Michigan :mad: :mad: .

It's idiots like this that ruin the streams and the fishing. :tsk_tsk: .

This is a link for feedback to The Outdoor Channel for feedback. They need to know that people won't support the network or the companies that they advertise if this is the sort of ethics (or lack there of) that they support.

Write them and let them know that people will hold them to a higher standard.

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/feedback.cfm

Gillie

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
What's this??!!

Some good 'ol boys ripping salmon in Michigan.

That's just crazy talk.

Never ever happens :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

G

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it happens, I'm just surprised that would show it on TV. Maybe I'm just naive

Gillie

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Gillie said:
I know it happens, I'm just surprised that would show it on TV. Maybe I'm just naive

Gillie

If you'd watched the extended version you'd see where they gathered roadkill, lifted 20 bucks worth of beer from a gas station, puked it out onto the Michigan Wolverines practice field and then cruised the local brothel where Jimmy kisses more than bass. :eek:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
VooDooFly

Yeah, those graveled up white tailed girls love a golf ball sized yarn ball on a 3/0 treble. The salmon we have here in MI are actually capable of hitting the aforementioned fly with their dorsal and tail fins. Its a site to see, trust me. Whats even better is when one breaks off with one of those rigs in its back and it ends up in your hand.

I think I should take a pic of my "wall of shame" and post it on here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
snaging in michigan

it was legal at one time to snag but is not now and has not for a bunch of years !!!!!! funny thing is i was on the little man fishing for salmon one day and a few guys were out there snaging they were using 5/0 trebble hooks no yarn and no bait with about 15 of the biggest split shot les than two inches from the hook some people need to be cought :tsk_tsk: is it me or is the michigan dnr under funded at this ??? thanks for showing your support on this matter brownie1013 <'}}}}>~~~<

·
Registered
869 Posts
this does not suprise me. i have seen well known "flyfisherman" whom i will not flame here using a two fly dead drift rig in NY on television. then he had the nerve to tell us where he was and explain all the benefits of the two fly dead drift method. in NY you are only allowed i hook point for tribs. i have seen a different well known "flyfisherman" foul hook a spawner play it comming around tail first, cut to landing, cut to angler's back as he unhooks fish, cut to smiling goon holding up milting spawner. all this on national tv in an area that we never guided on cause it was too small and secret. do we look that dumb?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember growing up when snagging was legal. I used to watch the guys in Two Rivers & Manitowoc Wi snag fish. It was a comedy in action. Guys shoulder to shoulder casting big treble hooks with weights on the end. Most just snagged each other. Wish I had a video camera back then but I was seven or eight on the way to grandma's house.

Left a response. Crazy to think it still happens.

Cheers -- Hansen

·
Registered
637 Posts
Please give feedback!

The link above is quick and easy. It would be appropriate to point out that the network, by airing illegal activities presented as legal, may be encouraging others to break the law, making them potentially liable.

Carl

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
ditto

Totally agree with carl--I let them know my opinion on the matter also..But what I want to know is --did jimmy kiss the salmon on tv? And if so ,was it the front end of the fish or the other end where the hook was lodged? :Eyecrazy: :hihi:

·
Registered
76 Posts
i did not even see the show and can say

the that stupid dummy had to have been fishing whith a guide. not to insault you but i had to call the guy [jimmy ] a real jerk. and ask every one do you think he could find a fish ?
any wyas tight lines brownie1013 <'}}}}}>~~~~<

·
Registered
76 Posts
some one should post a poll

just to find out how stupid jimmy huston is and how his fans feel about him right now any ways good luck and tight lines brownie1013
<'}}}}}>~~~~<

·
Registered
76 Posts
know what you are thinking and your right

malbaie river said:
Was Jimmy fishing with a guide or doing it on his own?

Bill Greiner
Malbaie River Outfitters

who ever his guide was is a jerk you are right about that and i know were you are comeing from wondering who his guide was. ripping salmon just is not fishing up here or any were. this realy show your guides intellect and yours thank you for supporting this. because snagging is illegal in this state good luck to you brownie1013 <'}}}}>~~~<

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately in michigan, most people in their 30's or older can remember when snagging was legal, almost encouraged. And many of those people figure why not snag them still, it's easier and they rarely see any c/o's around. One thing people can do to help the cause is join the river watch program. Every fall groups of people go to the rivers with officers, radios are supplied, and you rat on the snaggers. You can even fish while you are working. This is a volunteer program, and just like any other volunteer program, it does not work very well without volunteers. Contact the dnr or your local c/o to get more info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts