Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wherewisemenfish

As a proud new sponsor of Speypages I would like to introduce our business to members of the Speyclave.

Having worked in the Atlantic salmon world on the Kola Peninsula for the last 5 years and as a member and sometime contributor to Speypages for several years and I have been lucky to meet and fish with several of you.

I decided to take a new direction and build my own dedicated destination outfitting business. We have now brought together a great (and expanding) team from Europe and the USA and launched our website

http://WhereWiseMenFish.com

We are obviously a start-up company and accept we are in a competitive market, however have do have our own particular unique take on things and are dedicated to providing highest level of service and putting people on the best fishing we can find.

My own detailed area of knowledge is the Atlantic salmon world and as we expand our portfolio this will be a specific area of expertise.

Another area I am very keen to build upon is the opportunities for crossover between salmon fisherman in Europe and the great fishing of the USA and Canada. Having just put together a team of 10 Atlantic salmon fishermen to try out the King Salmon at Alaska West on the Kanektok and another 10 to follow up at Royal Coachman on a multi-species week, I know there are great opportunities to develop this market

I recently spent two weeks on the Skeena system with Tim Pask and had my mind well and truly blown by the scale and scope of the fishing available. I am well aware of the pressures on systems like the Skeena and this is why it is important that governments understand that they are valued and enjoyed by people from all over the world.

If anybody has recommendations on operations that we can tie up with or any other helpful suggestions please mail me on Gordon[email protected] and I promise to have look at them.

I will also be chasing up several of my steelheading buddies for contributions to our blog.

You have been warned!

All the best

Gordon

·
rynda
8 Posts
Good luck!

Good luck, Gordon. I really enjoyed your website and hope to meet you again on one of your beautiful rivers.

rynda/Sven

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this guys and also all the e-mails and Pm's of support. Looking forward to catching up with you all, meantime I will be getting warmed up for the big Kings on the Kanektok next season!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good luck!

Certainly understand why you have 'moved on' from the Kharlovka and Rynda since their prices are through the roof and beyond, particularly since Varzina was closed to non Russians. Plenty of Moscow folks now with the funds to support the fishery.

:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I accept that it is one of the most expensive Atlantic salmon camps in the world and I now have no vested interest in defending the pricing or otherwise. I will however make these observations...

The ASR is one of the most logistically demanding places to operate in the world of fishing and fish of the quantity and size available in the ASR come at a premium. It is a hugely helicopter intensive operation with a cutting edge that is hard to match. It is far better for the average angler than the Alta or comparably priced rivers and nowhere gives a wading fly fisher a better consistent shot at fish exceeding 30 pounds. One morning last June I got two fish on the skating fly, one was over 25 pounds and the other around 35 pounds, these fish will live long in my memory and if I never fish Kharlovka again these memories are priceless, this is as good as it gets for the genuine wading flyfisher.

I think all the Kola fisheries will revert to Russian hands in due course and then pricing etc becomes irrelevant as Westerners might not be fishing in them anyway. Imagine what people would be willing to pay if the BC Steelhead rivers were being closed to public access at some future point, therefore I think an element of what people pay has to be based on the assumption that this type of fishing might not be around forever...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Gordon,
Really well done explanation.Scary future!I feel very privileged to have been there and to have done so at a "cheap"price.And ,to have hit the weather lottery to boot! The possible furure you postulate is probably reality.Salmon fishermen are the "sheep hunters" of the fishing world.Fewer fisheries in the world are well managed and the ones that hold up will continue to become more dear.It was also a great pleasure to fish ASR while you and Justin were involed!Beau

1 - 7 of 7 Posts